Sign in to follow this  
Constabulary

Barn find again - Singer 207D3 Zig Zag with 8mm stitch lenght.

Last thing I need is another zig zag machine :lol: but I was looking for a 207D for quite a while cause it is a quite interesting machine. But I wanted one in a better shape and not a barn find again. Will this ever end? :head_hurts_kr:Well - when it is for free you just grab it, right? Maybe there must be something addictive in the Singer cast iron :rolleyes:

The Singer "D" machines were made in Wittenberge, Prussia and I don´t think the 207 model was made anywhere else in the world. It is a beefed up version of the Singer 206 (kind of) but the 207 has a CB hook and no timing belt but seems to have some similarities in the ZZ mechanism.

Interesting part here is that it is a CB hook zig zag machine and this (the CB hook zig zag) is AFAIK quite rare among industrial size machines, isn't it? And on top of that for a drop feed machine it has a very very long stitch length (dial say 8mm) especially for a machine of this age (WWII wartime made I guess). Stitch length dial and reverse lever seem to be from the Singer 96. So I think it is worth tinkering a little bit. Not sure where I will end with this...

The wooden table base is worm eaten so not worth saving but the plate is still quite good so maybe I´ll keep it. The wooden pedal is cool too but has a lot of surface wear.

Machine is bone dry and not spinning at all... Some picture:

207G3 (5).JPG

207G3 (4).JPG

207G3 (3).jpg

207G3 (2).jpg

207G3 (1).jpg

207G3 (6).JPG

207G3 (7).JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Hahaha, yes it is an addiction.  I think we all share that.

That I s an interesting machine.... with an unbelievable amount of dust/ dirt build-up inside. lol

Nice find C!!!

glenn

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Machine is bone dry and not spinning at all

why do you keep finding these barn finds ??? not fair:( 

Dry as a bone eh ?  A shite load of WD 40 will do the trick  :) :)

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Well - when it is for free you just grab it, right? Maybe there must be something addictive in the Singer cast iron

Yup, Like 'Pringles' , , ' once you pop, you can't stop '   :yes:

HS

A rare one for sure,I like the pedal,it does look a bit like the 206.Nice Find!!

On 6/22/2023 at 5:40 PM, Handstitched said:

why do you keep finding these barn finds ??? not fair:(

Most folks don´t care about "barn find condition machines" over here and especially not old odd Singers. But that is just what I like. For sure a little bit of a challenge but when I fail it did not cots much - just some bucks for gas and oil and WD40... 

Today I pulled out (no I hammered it out) the Zig Zag unit. Damn - totally seized up in the casting and WD40 and applying heat did not help much. The ZZ unit housing is aluminum and after siting in cast iron machine for several decades and the machine was sitting in a barn for... I don´t know how long... well that was a quite challenge but seems I did not damage the parts (will figure when it is back in the machine and ZZ is adjusted). The ZZ unit housing needed some good sanding and polishing but it now goes back in fairly easy but it is still tight fitting. I really feared braking it. I just needed quite some force (IMO) to drive it out - that reminded me of my 1st 111G156 when I hammered out the bushing on the hand wheel when I replaced the timing belt.... :wacko:

When I got it sewing and ZZ is working properly I will decide how I will go on with this machine...

ZZ Unit 207D (1).JPG

ZZ Unit 207D (2).JPG

Edited by Constabulary

12 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Most folks don´t care about "barn find condition machines"

From the pics , it doesn't look to bad, condition wise.  A bit of surface rust, sure, but that can be cleaned up.  Will you give it a new paint job or keep the original patina ? 

Look forward to seeing the end result.

HS

It´s overall not too bad it was just stored under bad conditions for a long time. The underside is very nice - just old dried oil and some dust. I´m a little between the chairs but I think I will repaint it IF  it will sew properly. Maybe hammer tone silver and black flat bed.

IMG_9030.JPG

IMG_9031.JPG

IMG_9032.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Nice work C!,

glenn