SUP

Oil tanned leather - bad for knives ..

All my knife sheaths are veg-tanned leather except one. A coupe of weeks ago, I read several articles which declared that chrome-tanned leather did not damage knives; knife makers who said they have used chrome-tanned leather for sheaths for ages with no damage to the knives.

More fool me, I  thought to give it a try. I used oil-tanned leather on one sheath - knife had a thin layer of rust within a couple of days. Cleaned it up and making a sheath with veg-tanned leather now.

it is possible the knife is old and that makes a difference. No idea but I am not risking it again.

I've found that results can be very variable.

I made a scabbard for an antique sword using some cheap chrome tan. Because I didn't know any better. The sword has not been out of the scabbard since 2014. I just checked. There is rust on it - but it went into the scabbard with rust and water on it in '14, so I think its no worse

However, I made a little sheath for a small pair of pocket snips. I used chrome tan. The snips were new and I lightly oiled them. Within days there was rust on the blades

I use mostly stainless steel for my knives and have never had any corrosion issues using veg tanned leather. I’ve never used chrome tanned leather so I can’t comment on that. I’m in Florida and right now the humidity is 90% and the feels like temp is over 100. The high carbon steels I use will rust here if you look at them cross eyed, that’s why I don’t use much of it where I’m at. I always coat my high carbon blades with a good wax to help prevent it. Your problem might not be the type of leather your using but where it’s coming from. Do you know what kind of steel the blade is made if?

@bladegrinder the steel, I think, is some form of high carbon Steel. The knife is an Henckel, an old one.

It is very humid here, in Georgia, too. But my other knives kept in veg-tanned leather sheaths are fine.

Like all my knives I coated this one in mineral oil as well. 

@fredk, I have not tried chrome-tanned leather  on any other knives, not even the newer stainless steel ones from Osbourne. Maybe I will switch sheaths with a new knife  and check tomorrow.

That will at least tell me if it is the metal of the knife or the leather that causes the problem.

@SUP You have titled this thread 'Oil tanned leather. . . .'  Then you mix in chrome tan and we discuss chrome tan. Chrome tanning and Oil tanning are two different things. We need to seperate them and decide which

@fredk, oil-tanned leather is sold as a sub-section of chrome-tanned leather, at least where I buy it from, Springfield leather. In the description too, the type of tannage is given as 'Chrome'. 

From what I have read, 'oil-tanned leather is not really tanned in oil. It is finished with some sort of oiling, post chrome-tanning. Since I got this from a seller as well as other articles online, I thought it is possibly true.

Edited by SUP

10 hours ago, SUP said:

@fredk, oil-tanned leather is sold as a sub-section of chrome-tanned leather, at least where I buy it from, Springfield leather. In the description too, the type of tannage is given as 'Chrome'. 

From what I have read, 'oil-tanned leather is not really tanned in oil. It is finished with some sort of oiling, post chrome-tanning. Since I got this from a seller as well as other articles online, I thought it is possibly true.

Here, oil tanned leather is veg tanned stuffed with oils during the tanning process and is quite different and distinct from chrome tanned leather

Oh. So 2 differently tanned leathers have the same generic name of 'oil tanned'. Hmm.

I don't know how chrome tanned affects knife steel but have always heard not to use it . I have turned one guy down on making some sheaths for him because he already had his own leather ...... chrome tanned  .

@Gezzer   Going to follow that from now on. No more "let's see...". 

@fredk, I have not had an issue with a single knife sheath made with veg-tanned leather. So I suspect that here, or at least where I get all my leather from, the oil-tanned leather is in fact chrome-tanned leather with oil-finishing, and that chrome tanning evidently adversely affects knife steel.  

Edited by SUP

I can't speak to knife sheaths, but chrome tan will take the bluing off of firearms, and latigo, which is combination tanned, will corrode brass and copper. So there is definitely something about chrome tan and metals.

I'll throw this idea in the pot here; if you have some nice chrome tan you want to use, maybe for its colouring or pre-made impression, you can laminate it with veg tan

Glue the two leathers together flesh side to flesh side. Use the veg tan for the inside of the sheath or holster and have the chrome tan on the outside. If the veg tan is thick enough and the chrome tan thin enough you can even wet mould the laminated leathers

I do this but use them the other way round on shoulder bags; ie I buy thin chrome tan leathers for their colours and laminate it with thicker veg tan. The coloured chrome tan is the inside lining of the bag and the veg can be tooled or stamped for the outside

@fredk, that is a good idea! Not just for the sheaths either. I make sheaths only to protect the knives, so plain veg tan will do. But other things where a peep of the inside will show a beautiful chrome tan and on the outside, the veg tan.

And I am so glad to hear they can be wet molded together, with the proper thicknesses. I have a lovely old purse I found at an estate sale I plan to make in leather. The purse is wood covered with cloth and I want to make it with leather in place of the wood and no cloth. I was wondering how to do it but this way would work.

Thank you for that tip.

Edited by SUP
To complete an incomplete sentence.