BDAZ

Laser cutting and engraving Chrome Tan..What Respirator UPDATE

I am hoping someone responds who actually knows the answer rather than guessing. 

I have a large wholesale order coming up which will require extensive cutting and engraving utilizing my 22 watt diode open bed laser. I have been using lasers, and 3D printing in my leather business for the past few years and it's a real time saver, especially for production volumes. I have been primarily cutting vegtan and Birch ply and have a reasonable exhaust. My workshop adjoins my residence and the exhaust system is effective enough for non lethal smoke and fumes. Because of the size of of laser bed, an encloser is not practical, however I will be installing more powerful exhaust fans in the adjoining window but I want to make sure that I do inadvertently inhale any chrometan vapors.

Does anyone have knowledge of the type of respirator that will protect against heavy metals found in  leathers and aniline dyes, or suggest a resource.One of my closest friends worked in the shoe industry in Europe, and was transferred to Dungguan, China where he lived for 5 years. On his return to Germany he was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and never got to drive that Mercedes SL he had stashed for his retirement. His doctors ascribe the cancer to the air pollution in Dongguan which is heavy in chromium particulate.

He was also one of the best bluegrass banjo players I have ever played with... 

I'd dearly like to not suffer the same fate.

After researching the topic this, IMHO, lays the subject of the dangers of laser cutting/engraving chrome tanned  leather to rest. All the fearmongering idiots are wrong..listen to the science!

Edited by BDAZ

good to know.

So it depends on which type of chromium was used, which will depend on where the tannery is, if you have that information you can make an informed decision.

Thank you for that. it is good to get proper information from a knowledgeable person.

On 7/8/2023 at 6:59 PM, BDAZ said:

I am hoping someone responds who actually knows the answer rather than guessing. 

I have a large wholesale order coming up which will require extensive cutting and engraving utilizing my 22 watt diode open bed laser. I have been using lasers, and 3D printing in my leather business for the past few years and it's a real time saver, especially for production volumes. I have been primarily cutting vegtan and Birch ply and have a reasonable exhaust. My workshop adjoins my residence and the exhaust system is effective enough for non lethal smoke and fumes. Because of the size of of laser bed, an encloser is not practical, however I will be installing more powerful exhaust fans in the adjoining window but I want to make sure that I do inadvertently inhale any chrometan vapors.

Does anyone have knowledge of the type of respirator that will protect against heavy metals found in  leathers and aniline dyes, or suggest a resource.One of my closest friends worked in the shoe industry in Europe, and was transferred to Dungguan, China where he lived for 5 years. On his return to Germany he was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and never got to drive that Mercedes SL he had stashed for his retirement. His doctors ascribe the cancer to the air pollution in Dongguan which is heavy in chromium particulate.

He was also one of the best bluegrass banjo players I have ever played with... 

I'd dearly like to not suffer the same fate.

After researching the topic this, IMHO, lays the subject of the dangers of laser cutting/engraving chrome tanned  leather to rest. All the fearmongering idiots are wrong..listen to the science!

Agreed. I laser cut and engrave chrome tan every day and I t t t t totally fine! 

But seriously, I agree with you. The smoke can irritate you lungs but, what smoke doesn't?? 

On 7/10/2023 at 12:38 AM, HaloJones said:

So it depends on which type of chromium was used, which will depend on where the tannery is, if you have that information you can make an informed decision.

In further discussions with Bruce it would seem that Chrome 6 has been all but phased out in most western and European tanneries and replaced with Chrome 3. I would be suspect of any third world countries that don't export to the EU or the US. Almost all of my leather is veg tanned and my leather is US sourced with an occasional veg tanned hide from Mexico. I am starting a project which MAY use chrome tanned hides from US tanneries. YMMV.

What is EBM Music?  I used to compete in the clay shooting at the Essex County Fair when I lived in the UK..Lovely part of the world!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

11 hours ago, BDAZ said:

In further discussions with Bruce it would seem that Chrome 6 has been all but phased out in most western and European tanneries and replaced with Chrome 3. I would be suspect of any third world countries that don't export to the EU or the US. Almost all of my leather is veg tanned and my leather is US sourced with an occasional veg tanned hide from Mexico. I am starting a project which MAY use chrome tanned hides from US tanneries. YMMV.

What is EBM Music?  I used to compete in the clay shooting at the Essex County Fair when I lived in the UK..Lovely part of the world!

Bob

Yes Essex is a pleasant place if you ignore some of the population ;)

EBM is electro body music, think industrial goth, yep it’s a bit niche 

On 7/18/2023 at 11:43 PM, HaloJones said:

Yes Essex is a pleasant place if you ignore some of the population ;)

EBM is electro body music, think industrial goth, yep it’s a bit niche 

Thanks, never heard of it..I play guitar and banjo for traditional Irish and Appalachian  and even did a stint in Uxbridge playing for Morris Dancers...different end of the spectrum, though Morris Dancers may have been the Goths of their day..

Bob