kgg

New Class 441 Progress

@kgg, I'm sure you thought of this already but, why not just lag screw it to the floor? It's not on casters.

49 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

I'm sure you thought of this already but, why not just lag screw it to the floor? It's not on casters.

All bad enough but the floor is ceramic, that wouldn't go over very well.

kgg

5 hours ago, cashmanleather said:

Here's a setup  that would work. I believe it was at Panhandle Leather.

Thats pretty much the same  as my set up . The only small differences being my foot pedal is wider and I have a cover over the drive belt.With weight of the motor and machine , it ain't goin' nowhere :no:

HS

On 7/17/2023 at 5:30 PM, cashmanleather said:

Screenshot_20230422_102103_Chrome.jpg

That is the set up I prefer.

glenn

On 7/17/2023 at 5:30 PM, cashmanleather said:

Screenshot_20230422_102103_Chrome.jpg

That is the set up I prefer.

glenn

Here is what has been done and I will be adding other accessories in the future for binding, etc. All comments are always appreciated.

From what it looked like in the beginning to present. Note the drive belt beauty cover and needle positioner were placed just for the photo's and have been delegated to the darkest corner of the spare parts bin.

1) The table top cutout has been completed.

i) The raw edge of the table top section that was cutout was trimmed off with metal edging, photo called Cutout.jpg, and Cutout 4.jpg  .

ii) The sharp metal corners have 3D printed trims to help soften the sharp 90 degree corner, photo called Cutout.jpg .

iii) Two holes were drilled into the right side of the table top and two 3D printed thread guides installed to allow the top and bobbin spools of thread to be threaded through the table top. The reason for this was to allow for more usable space on the table top for other accessories and to allow for better thread relaxation / uncoiling, photo's Thread Spools.jpg and FrontALT.jpg.

2) The table metal support frame modifications are completed.

i) The top horizontal overhang part of the left leg was cut back to the vertical support and reinstalled. I had to repaint this top section with the best match of paint I could find called "Sand" color, Front.jpg . This was my fault of allowing the cutoff blade to strike the vertical part of the support and grind into the paint / metal.
When the top of the left leg was removed from the table so the machine was only supported by the center and right leg there was no problems of the machine, being nose heavy, wanting to tip forward.

ii) I added an additional horizontal cross brace from the left leg to the right leg, FrontALT.jpg . This wasn't necessary but I had a 2" wide piece of 1/8" metal kicking around and it is cheap insurance.

iii) The top and bobbin thread spool holder was installed on the right leg cross brace to allow for threading from underneath the table, Thread Spool.jpg and Thread Spool 2.jpg .

3) Machine convenience accessories have been 3D printed and installed on the machine with no drilling or tapping of holes in the machine.

i) Snips and screwdriver holder installed to the front of the machine putting both in easy reach, Snips.jpg .

ii) Bobbin and needle storage insert installed inside the wax pot to make better use of what would be a waste of space for me, Wax Pot.jpg .

iii) Top and bobbin thread pin guide support installed. This support allows for a straight line from the top thread tensioner to the guide on the thread spool support. This also has a double bobbin holder incorporated to allow for a quick convenient place to store bobbins, Thread Pin.jpg .and Thread Pin 1.jpg .

Thread Spools.jpg

Cutout.jpg

FrontALT.jpg

Cutout 4.jpg

Thread Spool 2.jpg

Snips.jpg

Wax Pot.jpg

Thread Pin.jpg

Thread Pin 1.jpg

Edited by kgg

Very clean work. And some nice touches, tool holder, etc.

I agree that the extra brace really doesn't seem to add any strength in the position it's in. Especially with 1 bolt on each end. I think the only possible weak spot is the back of the table. I looks like it's the only thing preventing the weight from torquing down.  We've all seen those table tops droop over the years. I'd consider a 2x6 across the span between the left and center legs, right up tight against the top and fastened to the legs.

41 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Very clean work. And some nice touches, tool holder, etc.

Thank you. Those parts will fit any of the 441 class machines but hopefully make life a little more convenient.

The cross brace from the right support leg across to the leg support leg is bend around the vertical support which should help. In this case I don't think drooping is going to be a problem as the downward weight of the machine is slightly off centered towards the front of the machines base. That should help to offset / reduce the amount of forward and downward torquing of the machine. When I remove the top horizontal section of the left support leg to remove about 6" the machine showed no signs of wanting to tip forward and downward.

The top horizontal cross braces for all the legs were also lag bolted into the bottom of the table with four 1/4" x 1" lag bolts to the bottom side of the 1 1/2" table top. The top horizontal cross brace of the middle leg extends back to almost touching the mounting frame for the servo motor.

kgg

bigboinew1.jpg

bigboinew2.jpg

Just when I was wondering about your progress this pops up. You've been a busy boy, looks great.:specool: I like the spool holders, very neat.

"drive belt beauty cover and needle positioner were placed just for the photo's and have been delegated to the darkest corner of the spare parts bin." That made me laugh, my cover is still in the original bubble wrap!:lol:

Only one criticism, first photo the top bolt doesn't match the others.:whistle:

3 minutes ago, dikman said:

Just when I was wondering about your progress this pops up. You've been a busy boy, looks great.:specool: I like the spool holders, very neat.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, dikman said:

Only one criticism, first photo the top bolt doesn't match the others.

Dang I missed that one.

kgg