AlZilla

29-4 Parts availability?

I'm going to look at a 29-4 tomorrow. Not really sure I'll be able to work out a deal, but I do have a question.

How is parts availability for the -4?

I couldn't get a bell crank and some other part for my 29-3 and had to modify a later version. I got the impression at the time that parts were much more available for the -4 and later.

1 hour ago, AlZilla said:

I'm going to look at a 29-4 tomorrow. Not really sure I'll be able to work out a deal, but I do have a question.

I do like the Singer machines but I would pass on a 29-4 as they are even older then the 29k-4 myself. I think the bushing and rack's aren't being made anymore for the 29-4. Keep in mind that the machine is going to be 100+ years old and the new patcher clone machines are being based around the 29k-70/71/72 models. In Ontario the price of the Singer 29K's in general have skyrocketed to and over $1000 CAD ($750 USD) whereas you can get a new clone for under $700 CAD off Amazon however the quality maybe questionable but parts would be cheap and readily available.

Just my thoughts,

kgg

There are some parts available but the prices are crazy expensive - the reason so many 29-4 machines are for sale cheap.

Check the below attached parts list and note the sentence "THIS MACHINE IS THE SAME AS 29K1 WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS:" The 29K1 is the basic machine and the other subclasses just have some small differences.

29 and and 29K are the same machine. The 29 are US made and the 29K UK made and the parts are interchangeable. The ancient 29 / 29K just differ in the accessories but the basic machines are the same. F.I. front wheel or side wheel, presence of a wax pot or not, different needle plates...

I once restored a 29K1   https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/60554-29k1-pre-christmas-barn-find/

You can modify the modern Singer 29 / 29K bell crank levers.

Most parts are no longer available for the old 29K models and do not expect that modern 29K parts (as for 29K51 or 29K71) will work for the ancient 29 / 29K machines, some do but most don`t.

29K1 TO K4,K10 TO K18,K12 TO K23,K30 TO K33.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

Ok, folks, I appreciate all the information. I'm going to get a domestic or two from her, so I'm headed that way in any event. This particular machine looks very nice and is supposed to be 100% mechanically. Might be hard to resist if she's reasonable (and all indications are that she is ...)

20230712_144827lr.jpg

20230712_145203lr.jpg

20230712_134128lr.jpg

Edited by AlZilla

I do love the old Singer patchers.  Good luck!

If the news had been better about parts availability, this would probably live at my house now. She wasn't at all unreasonable, especially with it having all the bells and whistles. She has 6 stitches per inch and didn't do the bell crank lever. I can feel a enough play that I think that's all it would take.

It's not totally dead in the water. They're less than an hour away, very nice people and I suspect more of their machines will come live at my house eventually. I still dragged home a couple of nice domestics.

1 hour ago, AlZilla said:

She wasn't at all unreasonable

What was their asking price??? If it was cheap enough you could buy it for the treadle stand for future use on a later model like a Singer 29k-70/71/72 or a clone as the base mounting bolt hole spacing are the same.

kgg

4 minutes ago, kgg said:

What was their asking price??? If it was cheap enough you could buy it for the treadle stand for future use on a later model like a Singer 29k-70/71/72 or a clone as the base mounting bolt hole spacing are the same.

kgg

She's somewhere on this forum and I know she's going to advertise it for sale locally so I don't want to start throwing numbers out in case she wants to list it differently.  We weren't terribly far apart but I didn't want to beat up on her. She did a nice job resurrecting it and it was the first industrial she'd tackled. I want someone to come along and give her the asking price.  I dragged an Elna Supermatic home along with a project (well and thoroughly disassembled) Necchi BU. I'm happy. For now ... :)

Certainly not low enough to just buy it for the base but fair for someone looking for a hobby machine.

2 hours ago, AlZilla said:

I want someone to come along and give her the asking price.

That's understandable.

kgg

Here's her local ad:

https://maine.craigslist.org/art/d/detroit-1911-singer-sewing-machine-29/7650322519.html

Quite a complete package and very honest sellers.

I'll add a screenshot because we know that classified link is going to die.

Screenshot from 2023-08-02 17-16-45.png