Narf

Tensioner assembly - repair or replace?

So I did some more work on my machine - singer 211G256 and found more evidence of its roll on its face. The tensioner unit was not loosening up and upon taking it apart the split stud was badly bent.

IMG_1559.thumb.jpeg.38cbfc36df4132e850f3d6049794c58a.jpeg

I had nothing to lose so I heated it up and attempted to straighten it up but it was badly corroded and thin anyway so as expected snapped.

IMG_1557.thumb.jpeg.103d35bdb9aee9e16234be7b15562bfa.jpeg

I can get a whole new assembly from china but I’m guessing it will be of questionable quality or I could drill out the broken stud, weld on a new on and split it with the grinder but is it worth the effort to keep it mostly original? Or just fit a cheapo unit because it will work as well?

i’m a newbie with industrial machines so I want the option that will cause the least headaches while sewing so if the Chinese replacements are crap I will repair the original.

thanks.

The old Singer parts are of better quality than new generic parts from China IMO. I repaired some tension units (making one out of two) a while ago. I hammered out the stud from the rear. I think you can get replacement studs from College Sewing. Just check the parts list of your machine and check the number on the College sewing website. I would also order some spare screws for the feed dog, Needle bar, needle plate... Maybe some bobbins lint brush... they have everything.

Edited by Constabulary

I replaced the tension unit on my 111W with a unit from Amazon (china) a while back and it works fine. You could go either way, depending on what's most expedient. You can always keep and repair the old unit later on if originality is important to you.

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I think you can get replacement studs from College Sewing

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I would also order some spare screws for the feed dog, Needle bar, needle plate

Thanks, I grabbed the last stud they had in stock and also the other screws you mentioned as spares. I also grabbed a couple of the tensioner springs as I’ve noticed the original is also snapped.

2 hours ago, AlZilla said:

I replaced the tension unit on my 111W with a unit from Amazon (china) a while back and it works fine.

Thanks I’ve ordered both a cheapo replacement and the parts to repair the original so I have both options.

That is covering your bases! That is the approach I take for stuff. (perhaps I do it too much, I have a lot of stuff!)

I tend to look for OEM Juki parts in those instances. The tension units are interchangeable between Juki LU-562/563 and Singer 111W /211W models. Juki makes very nice quality parts that are often a big step up from the generic versions.

I bought a few different generics and the OEM Juki tension unit a few years back just to compare them. The Juki was the nicest one of the bunch, but also the most expensive. You kinda get what you pay for. 

The cost for the Juki tension unit (part #B3121-053-0A0) is about $40 here in the U.S.  I’m pretty sure they’re available from Juki dealers worldwide. College sewing also carries it.

Here’s a screenshot from a current Ebay listing by a US based seller I’ve bought from before:

IMG_1388.jpeg

I needed a replacement unit some time ago and just bought one off ebay (China), it worked fine.

I bought a tensioner from AliExpress, from a relatively serious company. I ended up putting it in storage and repairing the old one (SEIKO LSC 8BV) using a used juki original part.
The quality of the new tensioner from AliExpress was very low and could not be used for serious work. Some spare parts of the new tensioner from AliExpress, such as nuts, can be used, but the threaded shafts you are interested in are to be thrown away.

EVERNICE.thumb.jpg.e64a684db4180b8695611e33be80e52b.jpg

Edited by xnikolaos