MarshalWill

After 35 Years...

Have you ever wondered what your leather work will look like after years of use? I just got to find out. Over 35 years ago I made a pencil holder for my wife's mother. My MIL died the other day and the pencil holder came back to me. All this time it has been sitting on the back corner of the kitchen counter, not that far from the stove. No before photo is available but here is what it looks like today. It has had open pens pitched in it point down, been splattered by stove grease, been handled with dirty hands and who knows what else. There was a thick layer of pencil dust and paper clips in the bottom. All it did was pick up character.

d2uMdyt.jpg

l3ti9yX.jpg

kwMQVt1.jpg

IOjAiUX.jpg

DLW9nku.jpg

Nice patina! A well-used article was much appreciated by your late MIL.  Please accept my condolences as well.

I made a similar cup for my daughter for her graduation.  The box stitch was a learning experience.  

Sorry for your loss

My condolences on your loss.

The pen-holder was lovingly made and so well appreciated and used.  How wonderful! 

Thanks, all. She was dealing with a lot of discomfort. That's behind her now, though.

The original colors are now almost obscured. Natural on the border/flower, black on the top and bottom beads and in the background, light brown tint on the rest. The black was Lincoln black dye, before I knew about vinegaroon so a lot of it has worn off. The whole thing would look better if I just did it solid black now but then all that acquired character would be gone.

9 hours ago, TonyV said:

I made a similar cup for my daughter for her graduation.  The box stitch was a learning experience.  

It would be nice to see the cup you made, if you have a photo. That stitch is just like putting a toe plug in a holster. Only with quite a few more stitches.

The real beauty is in the use!  I am glad it got used. Leatherwork can and should be artistic for sure, but being put to use is where the joy is for most of us as a maker. My grandmother was a quilt maker and understood this. I made Grammy a leather magazine can for her garden magazines. She put her sewing stuff in it instead. When she moved to the rest home she used it to hide her contraband jars of dried beef at the bottom under quilting squares. Looks like your mother-in-law's pens and paperclips fit just fine and had a nice home too!

Thanks for the account of your Granny, Bruce. The real compliment to us is that what we make gets used. In your case, how, as well.

I love how leather ages. Then a coat of Skidmore's or saddle soap can breathe new life into it.