kgg

441 Articulating Table Top

The problem I see with some table top attachments is storage. You have bolt them down to install then unbolt them when you don't need them then find a spot to tuck them away. So me being me again, I figured I could do a little better. I have designed an articulating table top that stores in both the vertical and horizontal position under the cylinder arm to either the front or rear side of the cylinder arm. The attachment to the articulating joint on the bottom of the table top also adds extra rear support to the table top. The short video is moving it from the mounted position to the front of the machine for storage in the vertical position. I did add Velcro strap through the needle plate opening to help support it but the articulating joints will hold it in place by themselves. 

The 3d printed table top in the photo's and video was printed using a PEI "cool plate" with 3d850 filament which is technically PLA but it is stronger then ABS without toxic odors to deal with. The last photo is of a sample that I printed using a PEO 3d plate which the finial table top will probably be printed in. The PEI "cool plate" print is smooth and looks decent but the PEO "3d plate" gives a 3 dimensional look to the surface with a slippery smooth glass finish. I will over the next day or so do a sample print with a PEO "carbon fiber " which will give a slippery smooth glass finish as well. The 3D printing was done with the Bambu Lab X1 Carbon core XY. What an improvement over the Prusa MK3S with a full bear upgrade both in speed, ease of use but most importantly quality of print. There is NO first layer calibration it does automatically so changing from one printing plate to another is as easy as changing your socks.

This table top measures from the needle to left edge 4.25 inches and 7.0 inches from the front to the back edge.

Photo #1 and # 2 are of the table top with an inline swing away binder attachment mounted.

Photo #3 and #4 are of how the table top swings away from the cylinder arm from the install position.

Photo #5 and #6 shows that is gets swung under the cylinder arm and hangs vertically.

Photo #7 and #8 are the dimensions of the table top.

Photo  #9 is what the table top will look like when I print it using the "3 dimensional glass finish plate". For the photo we just laid a sample print on the surface of the table top.

Have a look and all comments are always appreciated.

kgg

Warlock Adjustable Bed Design v0.2b (6).jpg

Warlock Adjustable Bed Design v0.2b (5).jpg

Warlock Adjustable Bed Design v0.2b (4).jpg

Warlock Adjustable Bed Design v0.2b (3).jpg

Warlock Adjustable Bed Design v0.2b (7).jpg

Warlock Adjustable Bed Design v0.2b (8).jpg

Warlock Adjustable Bed Design v0.2b (9).jpg

Edited by kgg
wording

Very neat, and a clever way of keeping the binding attachment assembled and readily available.:specool:

Thank you @dikman. I do still wonder what a good size table top needs to be for holster type work?

kgg

11 hours ago, kgg said:

Thank you @dikman. I do still wonder what a good size table top needs to be for holster type work?

kgg

That's a pretty awesome table.  For holster work though I'm not sure what to say.  Mostly no table at all is needed for holster work.  Sometimes even a standard needle plate is too much.  Can always be exceptions though?

Thank you @Cumberland Highpower.

kgg

7 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

So is that a specific binding attachment for a 441 or a universal one you made work?

The binding attachment in the photo is just an inexpensive Single Fold Binder mounted to a swing away bracket. Binders use to be cheap in the sub $20 CAD range but I haven't check the prices recently. The swing away brackets use to be also cheap as well in the sub $10 CAD range. I think most people use the 90 degree binders which are expensive in comparison at about $60 CAD per tape size and type (raw or double fold edge). If I'm not mistaken on the 441 class machines the 90 degree binders bolt directly to the flat plate directly behind the needle plate. That said if I had to do really tight corners or only had a cylinder arm machine the 90 degree binders would be the binder of choice.

Since I have flat bed machines and a couple cylinder arm machines I want to be able to move attachments from one machine to another and didn't want to invest in machine specific attachments.

With the inline binders I found it to be a problem:

i) going from the a flatbed 1541 to a 1341 cylinder arm so I had to design a little table top to do that.

ii) going to the 441 class with the standard plate that comes with them a inline would work but was a real pain in properly setting the distance to the needle and you have basically no support under the folder attachment so I designed another little table top for that as well as the one in the photo's and video. The little binder specific plate can be seen slung under the cylinder arm on the Velcro strap in the fourth photo.

My thought is if you are only going to use one tape size and type (raw or double fold edge) for your needs it probably would be best to go with a 90 degree binder setup.

kgg

Edited by kgg

I'm not sure if a table attachment would be of much benefit when making holsters? I haven't come across anyone who makes holsters wishing they had one.

13 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Mostly no table at all is needed for holster work.  Sometimes even a standard needle plate is too much.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

I haven't come across anyone who makes holsters wishing they had one.

Thank you both. So far the consciences is that a table top is not necessary, it was just a thought.

kgg

Get rid of those blanket feet.  Other feed are better and available.  I have no idea why Nakajima and then Jukie made these blanket feet.  Only good for certain items and they are so damn big.  Kwok Hing makes generic binder feet for the 205.

glenn

4 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Get rid of those blanket feet.

I do agree they are big and I actually just got the other day a set of feet that I just haven't had a chance to install.

kgg

7 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Get rid of those blanket feet.  Other feed are better and available.  I have no idea why Nakajima and then Jukie made these blanket feet.  Only good for certain items and they are so damn big.  Kwok Hing makes generic binder feet for the 205.

glenn

Interesting point.  I never could understand why so many "leatherworkers"  are so determined to demand a unison feed machine.  Yes they're universal of sorts, but for leather it always causes a larger, more complex footprint to deal with.  A jump foot with a needle feed is better for general leather use.  You can have a very small jump foot.  I've stitched leather goods for a living for 15 years and only use a 205-370 Unison feed machine for one particular product.  I have small feet on all my hook and awl machines and wouldn't trade for any of the harness maker (ClusterF**K) feet setups on a a Juki or a 205 class machine.

Besides the feet gripe, I don't like the needle systems that are used on modern Unison Stitchers....I find the old 328 needle system to be ideal.  less flex, good for just about anything you're stuffing on a Juki  or 205 class machine.

Yeah, I guess I have leather blinders on...Lots of others in industry that sew everything from dashboards to carpets I guess.....Maybe they need the capabilities?

The 205-64 used the needle system 328 or 214x1.  It would sew 1/2" leather all day long but not very good for climbing over splies or seams.  I have a 205-370 with toys.  No comparison.  The 441 came out before the 205.  Both great machines.  If sewing one thickness be in multiple layers, the 205-64 was great.  You get into uneven layers, no.  The Singer 97-10 or Ferdco Bull were jump feet and great machines.   Leather sewing machines is dictated by what you are sewing.

glenn.