Dwight

And they call themselves leather workers

Last bout with popcorn cost me 382 bucks . . . and a solid hour in one of them there dentist chairs.

And it was the soft stuff . . . no kernals.

Sticking to Doritos Nachos . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

baked garbanzo beans!!! 

I had to google that, chic peas.Sounds delish, and morish  :)

HS

20 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Perhaps so.  ...  I ordered a pair of new  "Made in EU" "genuine leather" couches sight unseen from a local discount furniture outlet.... they were 100% leather. 

No, not so, as I have pointed out (France is in the EU!) If it is called leather (cuir, Leder, cuero or whatever), it is tanned animal skin. And an expression like vegan leather is illegal, because it creates a false impression. Man-made materials must be correctly named.

Trade standards are fairly strict over here...

Edited by Klara

2 hours ago, Klara said:

No, not so, as I have pointed out (France is in the EU!) If it is called leather (cuir, Leder, cuero or whatever), it is tanned animal skin. And an expression like vegan leather is illegal, because it creates a false impression. Man-made materials must be correctly named.

Trade standards are fairly strict over here...

I don't get it?  So I guess my leather couches aren't leather?  I was trying to point out that I don't know if it's right or not, but rather that what I ordered was billed as leather and turned out to be leather.

I did about 5 min of research into EU "leather regulations" and I find them ranging to from somewhat absurd to the point of retardation.   It would appear for example, the import of leather goods is prohibited if "leather dust" in a significant amount detected on the goods.  How do they find out? A $200 fee for analysis on importation...Apparently all imported leather goods are supposed to be "tested" and number of tests varies on types of leather and colors present.......

My wife is from Europe and I've heard, probably hundreds of times over the years how you "cant do business over there."

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

I was assuming your "perhaps so" referred to fredk's claim (which you quoted) that a material called leather in Europe need not come from animals. And that is not the case, if it's called leather, it must be leather. As was the case for your couch. Fredk's adviser was either misinformed, regulations are complicated, as you have found out, or the regulations have changed since, which they do frequently. 

4 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

My wife is from Europe and I've heard, probably hundreds of times over the years how you "cant do business over there."

Yep, that's the other side of the medal: If you try to protect consumers by applying strict regulations and standards, life becomes harder for manufacturers and sellers. 

1 hour ago, Klara said:

I was assuming your "perhaps so" referred to fredk's claim (which you quoted) that a material called leather in Europe need not come from animals. And that is not the case, if it's called leather, it must be leather. As was the case for your couch. Fredk's adviser was either misinformed, regulations are complicated, as you have found out, or the regulations have changed since, which they do frequently. 

Yep, that's the other side of the medal: If you try to protect consumers by applying strict regulations and standards, life becomes harder for manufacturers and sellers. 

Well, that's a mistake, taking me at face value.  I'm usually wrong, undereducated/uneducated or politely misinformed most of the time-LOL

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

On 9/9/2023 at 5:11 PM, Dwight said:

I won't give the location . . . but I was in two different "leather" shops last week . . . 

Much of it was vinyl glued to fabric to stiffen it . . . 

Leather coats were absolute junk . . . my Pakistan cafe racer jacket I paid a hundred and a half for . . . was three times the quality of that junk . . . and they wanted twice my Pakistan price.

Belts looked like that pressed together and glued stuff from China . . . single layer . . . with buckle . . . no design . . . 26 bucks each and up

I was almost ashamed to mention in that company I work in leather . . . afraid someone would mistake me for them . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Reminds me of the "Custom Handmade Damascus Knives" at flea markets and shows, where the "damascus pattern" somehow does not transfer into the exposed sharpened edge, and every knife has the same color and pattern. Yeah, they are knives, but not custom handmade damascus knives, lol.........

On 9/12/2023 at 3:42 AM, Dwight said:

Last bout with popcorn cost me 382 bucks . . . and a solid hour in one of them there dentist chairs.

And it was the soft stuff . . . no kernals.

Sticking to Doritos Nachos . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Hope it wasn't too painful. 

Might consider that for a meal next week, love nacho's . Hard to find un-flavoured  corn chips here, only flavoured types...but still tasty, with lashings of  romano cheese and sour cream and a few fresh herbs on top ,  yummo +++   :yes:

BTW, I prefer butter on my pop corn, and sometimes a little salt....mmmmm :specool:. By now I'm making everyone hungry, .. am I sorry??? NUP !!! 

HS

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

Hope it wasn't too painful. 

Might consider that for a meal next week, love nacho's . Hard to find un-flavoured  corn chips here, only flavoured types...but still tasty, with lashings of  romano cheese and sour cream and a few fresh herbs on top ,  yummo +++   :yes:

BTW, I prefer butter on my pop corn, and sometimes a little salt....mmmmm :specool:. By now I'm making everyone hungry, .. am I sorry??? NUP !!! 

HS

It actually was not painful . . . felt as though I had a piece stuck on my tooth . . . went to the mirror to see . . . chunk of the tooth was gone . . . 

Doc put a corral around the tooth . . . filled it with his magic potion . . . let it dry . . . sanded and ground it down to where it was needed . . . told me to see the receptionist . . . she handed me the bill.  THAT WAS the painful part

May God bless,

Dwight