PlanoMike

Stitching Holes on gussets and front/back don't match.

Im making a purse from a pattern. it's a round purse. I used a 5mm, 2 points Japanese stitching iron to punch the gusset and round front & back for the round purse. The purse measurements are metric, and I matched the pattern exactly. I go around the front & back pieces 5mm from the edge punching the stitching holes. I am very careful to be precise with my punching. I then punch the holes in the gusset( which goes around the entire purse) using the same iron at 5mm from the edge. I come up with exactly the same number of punches for both gusset and front & back pieces. And the punches start and end exactly where they are supposed to. So now I feel confident and start stitching from the center of gusset and front piece. I notice as Im stitching that the holes on the round front piece are gaining distance from the punches on the gusset. They are supposed to be directly across from one another. In fact the holes get several holes apart from one another. thus the stitches are all out of alignment and the project locks like crap. 

What am I doing wrong that the punch holes don't stay aligned across from on another? I do a lot of hand stitching and am pretty good at it. Ive successfully stitched square bags with large rounded corners with no problems.Im lost. Help Please.

Thanks, Mike 

I failed to mention at the start im making a round purse, 20cm diameter(front and back pieces), and 7cm wide gusset.

I can't help you, but this might 

Best thing is to show us.  The way you describe the situation makes little sense to me based on this phrase:

12 hours ago, PlanoMike said:

In fact the holes get several holes apart from one another. thus the stitches are all out of alignment and the project locks like crap.

I can imagine a hole apart, but two?  Or more?  Can’t see how that could physically happen.

Its because you have two circles of different diameters

fredk

Thank you. You are absolutely correct. I checked a couple other round bags that worked, but were assembled and stitched differently than the one I'm currently working on. 

I used to get that mis-alignment problem with pre punched holes when I first made these;

Nico's Viking Purse, 01LWS.JPG

small girdle purse type 1, 01LWs.jpg

Problem solved by punching holes along outside edge of the front and back pieces but punching only one hole in each edge of the gusset, at centre bottom, for parts alignment, then using either double-sided tape or glue to hold the gusset in place and making sewing holes by using an awl, a few holes at a time, sewing up, then more holes and so on

22 hours ago, PlanoMike said:

I failed to mention at the start im making a round purse, 20cm diameter(front and back pieces), and 7cm wide gusset.

I have found that occasionally a pattern that I have purchased from the internet won’t align up properly. 
I write it off as a poorly designed pattern, and move on. It can be a frustrating and expensive experience sometimes.

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel