SpruceMoose

Walking foot with teeth vs smooth - question.

I'm having trouble with my presser foot not walking up and over layers, I'm guessing a foot with teeth would fix this? I'm slipping often, and it's driving me nuts.

thanks

1 hour ago, SpruceMoose said:

I'm having trouble with my presser foot not walking up and over layers

Knowing what machine would be helpful.

kgg

On my shoepatcher machine I made a presser foot with a smooth flat bottom.  I glued 150 grit sandpaper to the bottom and that really feeds good now with no marks on the leather.

1 hour ago, kgg said:

Knowing what machine would be helpful.

kgg

Techsew 2700, i know the parts number for the feet and such, easy to come by, I've got some extra presser feet and may modify them myself instead of buying more. 

I should say as well, I'm not talking about it not being able to climb an abrupt huge ridge of material, it just slips often on skived layers. Various materials, not just slippery leather.

1 hour ago, SpruceMoose said:

I'm not talking about it not being able to climb an abrupt huge ridge of material, it just slips often on skived layers. Various materials, not just slippery leather.

I would check a couple of things first before changing / modifying your presser feet:

i) the height the feet dog protrudes above the needle plate. It maybe needs to be adjusted up slightly to bite into the bottom of the leather a touch more.

ii) the position of the presser foot. Is it at the level of the needle plate or above?

iii) the tension on the presser foot.

If I'm not mistaken the Techsew 2700 is the same as the Cowboy 227R so this manual may help.

kgg

CB227R_Oper.Manual_print_pages_3-13.pdf

Edited by kgg

There are aftermarket feet with teeth. They are sometimes sold as zipper foot sets. I've bought them in left toe and right toe. The teeth are meant to grip zipper tape and get a good grip on leather. Just be prepared to rub out the tooth marks. There are also double toe feet with teeth that outdoor vinyl sewers tend to use. Vinyl is pretty slippery. Banners and boat covers are also sewn with toothed walking feet. Sailrite may stock the feet you need.