SUP

Mineral oil bad for leather? Or good? Or neutral?

I can tell you more tomorrow. One piece has been out in the rain since the start of March

I'll wait for your input.

Not a proper report

8 pieces have been hanging outside. It been raining a lot here, including today

All the pieces except vaseline show darkening caused by them soaking up water. The vaseline one is still as light coloured as a non-treated piece. It also show a little  of repelling water. Its lost its slickness which it had before. Other pieces also show water repelling but they are showing as having absorbed water, not a little but a lot, as much as you'd want for wet moulding

Therefore, it looks like vaseline can be water repellent or a mild waterproofer. I'd not dare venture to say it is a waterproofer

That's good information. I will use Vaseline on several pieces and check the extent of water absorption over hours and days.

Right now, I have applied a mixture of mineral oil and coconut oil (10%) to new leather pieces and kept them with the others.

I will prepare a new set for the Vaseline. I need to also record the thickness of the leather very specifically for each piece too, not just a generalized 5oz description.

Today, it is bright and sunny outside. Hope it rains soon.

7 monthly report. 26th April 2024

Pieces treated and kept on the top of the dash in the south facing  windscreen (windshield?) of a car

#1; Baby Oil;  Colour = Dark, Flex = Stiff 7/10,  Smell =  No Smell,  Other (fungus, deterioration ) = 0

#2;  Cooking Oil (rape seed); Colour = Dark,  Flex = Stiff 7/10 ,   Smell = very slightly 'leather',   Other = 0

#3;  Lard (pork fats);Colour = Light, lighter than Control #1,  Flex = Moderately stiff 5/10,  Smell =  A hint of oil,  Other = surface feels a bit 'greasy'

#4; NFO Compound; Colour = Dark, Flex is good, 4/10,  Smell = neutral, Other = 0

#5; Olive Oil;  Colour = Dark, Flex is good 3/10  Smell = very slightly of oil,  Other = 0

#6; 3-in-1 Oil;  Colour = Dark, Flex is stiff 9/10.  Smell = Slight smell of leather and a hint of oil,  Other = 0

#7; Vaseline;  Colour = Light, lighter than Control #1, Flex is stiff 6/10,,  Smell = faintly of 'leather'   Other; Surface feels very greasy

#8;  Control #1; kept with #1 to #7; Flex has stiffened, Colour = mottled light and slightly darish,  Flex = Stiff 7/10, Smell = Neutral, Other = 0  - 

Thats all for now

I'll be back soon with a report on the pieces kept outside, in rain,  sunshine and wind

@fredk That's a good report for a single location. For you too, mineral oil (baby oil) has stiffened quite  bit.

I have used Vaseline on several items that I made for home use - they get wet off and on but do not seem to absorb any. So for leather that will get wet for short periods, Vaseline is evidently a good water repellent.

It has not rained here recently, unfortunately. so cannot do the next test just yet. Keeping watch on the weather. As soon as rain I predicted I will start the Vaseline test. I plan to check after 1 hour in the rain, 2 hours and so on for a few hours, to see what happens. I will be very specific about the thickness of leather used, maybe use different thicknesses. Shopping trip tomorrow for that, methinks.

We are getting enuf rain for both of us!  Its raining in between the showers, and when its not raining it teeming down :lol:

I think I will copy you and do several pieces of leather with vaseline on them. I, too, want to check the waterproofing

Having written that now the rain will stop for a few weeks! :rolleyes2: 

That is what happened here too.  :lol:

01:30

I just cut a piece of 1.5mm - 4oz into 5 unequal sized pieces and coated them liberally with vaseline, front, back and edges

Tomorrow, later today, I'll figure out how to present them to the rain (if)