Cattleman

Kangaroo Money Clip Wallet

So I have been trying to come up with a money clip and card wallet for sometime. Recently a client presented me with a similar wallet with a magnetic money clip that had been chewed by his dog, and wanted to know if I could build something like it. This is what I come up with...

1001230014_HDR.thumb.jpg.1e261d1a89e2891d1d9223b6d42a722d.jpg

1001230016_HDR.thumb.jpg.dd34c35f3874295f9fdbc3e0f4ee69fc.jpg

1001230015a_HDR.thumb.jpg.54b979647030ab92e4d39f8037d1ef26.jpg

1001230013.thumb.jpg.591b8dafae5efd57604228d9d93ee166.jpg

1001230013_HDR.thumb.jpg.522256de34402411eb3d1b86b377249f.jpg

This is by far my favorite wallet I've built to date. It is made completely from light weight Veg-Tan Kangaroo leather. Features a strong magnetic money clip, an internal ID slot, 1 internal card slot, and 1 external card slot.

It is very thin, with an ID, 2 cards, and a wad of cash it is still less that 3/4 inch thick. It is tooled with my clents family cattle brand on a basket stamp background. The brand has been dyed deep black.

Please feel free to offer your honest opinions and critique... Good, bad, AND the ugly.

I like the overall design.  Main area for improvement is the stitching.  What method do you use?  There’s a lack of consistency.

I would prefer the width of the wallet at least be equal to the folded cash, but that’s just my preference.

I’m a fan of edge creases, so your efforts there made me smile.  

Keep up the good work!

Nice work

Nice, that's a good design. The magnetic bill holder is nice but I might also be tempted to make it to completely cover the bills. Very nice wallet. 

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

I like the overall design.  Main area for improvement is the stitching.  What method do you use?  There’s a lack of consistency.

I would prefer the width of the wallet at least be equal to the folded cash, but that’s just my preference.

Keep up the good work!

Yes the stitching is somewhat inconsistent... My sewing machine does not like such thin material, I think in the future I will handstitch this design.

14 hours ago, Cattleman said:

Yes the stitching is somewhat inconsistent... My sewing machine does not like such thin material, I think in the future I will handstitch this design.

Nice wallet and design.  Maybe use a thinner thread and smaller needle if you want to avoid handstitching?  I hadn't thought about tooling kangaroo...

17 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Nice, that's a good design. The magnetic bill holder is nice but I might also be tempted to make it to completely cover the bills. Very nice wallet. 

I just looked at the photos again and realized my previous post was in error. I see the bill holder is on the outside of it. It's a very cool design.

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

Nice wallet and design.  Maybe use a thinner thread and smaller needle if you want to avoid handstitching?  I hadn't thought about tooling kangaroo...

This is the only Veg-Tan Kangaroo I've ever found. I bought it specifically for wallets. It is difficult to tool in comparison to bovine leather, but the end result turned out pretty nice. My client was impressed and gladly paid $150 for it.

Edited by Cattleman
Typo

9 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

I just looked at the photos again and realized my previous post was in error. I see the bill holder is on the outside of it. It's a very cool design.

Thank you, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. However, the basket stamp I chose is a bit on the large size for this wallet, especially with the brand added into it. I really need to get a smaller double rope basket stamp.

On 10/1/2023 at 3:50 PM, Tugadude said:

Keep up the good work!

Edge creases are something new to me that I have just recently started adding. But I do think it adds something to simple pieces like this.

2 hours ago, Cattleman said:

Thank you, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. However, the basket stamp I chose is a bit on the large size for this wallet, especially with the brand added into it. I really need to get a smaller double rope basket stamp.

A smaller stamp would look really good on it. Barry King has small stamps or you could make your own, they're not too hard if you have a decent set of Swiss files.