stitchgearhead

Hello from Portugal - just another newbie...

Hello all. New member, just joined, but I have been lurking here for some time, learning and widening my eyes to all the wealth of precious knowledge and skill that exists on this forum. I'm trying to learn leathercraft all by myself, as a hobby, but I do take my hobbies very seriously, so it seemed natural to seek sources of real life, pratical know-how. And they don't get much better than this forum, I think.

I'm a machinist by training, if not by trade (I do have 2 small lathes at home, for my hobbies), I do a bit of woodworking, advanced car maintenance, was involved in competitive archery for a few years (half-retired now), and have had the idea of getting started in leathercrafts for some time, but didn't have an opportunity until early 2020 (with the pandemic). Work, family and everything else don't leave me much free time.

I have made a few small things, sewing by hand, but nothing worth showing off. I'm mostly interested in soft leather work: car upholstery, decorative items, small pouches, bags, etc. Maybe, in the future (when I'm good enough!) gloves, maybe shoes...but that's a long way away.

Anyway, I really wanted to thank members here for the excellent information they have provided me, and everyone else, every day, for the past few months. I have been at it, on and off, for 3 years now, but, in the past 2 months, since discovering this forum, I have progressed more, with your teachings, than in the previous 2 and a half years. So, a very sincere and heartfelt "thank you" from this newbie, who has just begun this road.

Daniel

Welcome to the forum! That's kinda the idea of all this isn't it. Great people here willing to share.

Welcome friend! 

Welcome to the forum.

9 hours ago, stitchgearhead said:

nyway, I really wanted to thank members here for the excellent information they have provided me, and everyone else, every day, for the past few months. I have been at it, on and off, for 3 years now, but, in the past 2 months, since discovering this forum, I have progressed more, with your teachings, than in the previous 2 and a half years. So, a very sincere and heartfelt "thank you" from this newbie, who has just begun this road.

This is exactly how I felt as well, when I discovered this forum.:)

Howdy Stitch, a lot of these guys have more knowledge than I ever hope to have. Look at this site as a living encyclopedia for everything leather! If they don't know it they will point you to someone that does

Thank you all for your kind words. It is indeed wonderful what can be learned here. And, not only that, but the feeling, so different from many other forums, of people really wanting to help, and wanting to learn. This is how all forums should be.

So, really happy to be here. I hope, someday, to be able to contribute to all of this.

Daniel.