SUP

How to get human skin color and blood on leather.

'Thing' looks good. It looks like it wont need painting for Caucasian flesh

@fredk thank you.

That is what I aimed for. That coconut oil and folding and creasing the leather helped give it that look of ' tanned skin'. Also added wire inside each finger and in the palm so it can be shaped in different ways. Now my daughter only needs to add blood and gore.

Edited by SUP

Adding the wire was very clever,  :thumbsup:

@fredk thank you. I wanted to add magnets inside the finger-tips, palm and wrist as well, to try to get it to stick to maybe the 'fridge, but the sticky magnet thingy I have is not strong enough to stick to metal through the leather. So dropped that idea.

15 hours ago, SUP said:

This is 'The Hand', complete. Sending it out to daughter to paint today.  

Hand 1 resized.jpg

Hand 2 resized.jpg

Also sending her this key choker - the key turns!

Key Choker.jpg

Looks like you did a fine job on the hand .

@Gezzer Thank you.:)

Looking really good! 

Now you'll have to get the daughter to send you a pic once she's added the blood an gore!  :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, SUP said:

@fredk thank you. I wanted to add magnets inside the finger-tips, palm and wrist as well, to try to get it to stick to maybe the 'fridge, but the sticky magnet thingy I have is not strong enough to stick to metal through the leather. So dropped that idea.

Try getting magnets rated 50 or 51. They are the strongest. You can also add magnets to each other to increase the strength, BUT you can only stack a maximum of 10, thereafter you have a diminishing effect, each magnet after the 10 reduces the strength

Your Thing is just great

If you were to do this again, or if I was to do it, I'd reduce the size of the sewing holes and use finer thread just in red, and hide slim bar magnets under the finger nails

@Sheilajeanne yes once she paints it I will ask her to send me pics and post them here.

@fredk I do plan to make another, with changes planned right from the beginning. This was exactly following the pattern. . But that size of holes is needed, with the type of stitching. Even with this size of holes, getting the needle through in awkward corners was  bit of a struggle. It was fun anyway.

I will need to use stronger magnets. This time I was in a hurry to send it across the country in time for Halloween, so just used what I had. Daughter needs time to plan and paint and dry it all.  And the idea of slim bar magnets under the nails is a great. I have a couple of cut fingers not yet stitched... I will try on those, even if I do not stitch the entire hand immediately. I should get those stronger magnets in Amazon, isn't it?