Dwight

Got a new machine

Went today and picked up a Ortur Laser Master 3 engraver . . . a 10 watt machine.

It came with the air assist . . . and for lack of a better description . . . a bottle roller . . . it'll do glasses, bottles, other round stuff.

Got it mostly for cutting my blank leather pieces for sheaths and holsters.  Hands have given me fits lately as I try to cut pieces with a razor knife . . . 

This may not work as good as I want it to . . . but if it even comes close . . . I'll be some kind of happy.

Plus I've got a little 3000 mw machine that I really like for engraving leather.  Will use it to do the "pretty" work . . . the other one will be a work horse.

Next thing I got to do though is make an enclosure for each . . . burning leather is one nasty stink.

May God bless,

Dwight

That's awesome! I think the 10W should work pretty well on veg tan with several passes, probably 6 or more at pretty high power. 

I use 3 passes on my 30W diode for most of my cutting. It is truly a game changer for cutting out patterns and parts with great precision. Be sure to invest in several rolls of painters tape to keep your leather held in place. I would also recommend at honeycomb bed. My cutting improved greatly when I started using a honeycomb. 

9 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

That's awesome! I think the 10W should work pretty well on veg tan with several passes, probably 6 or more at pretty high power. 

I use 3 passes on my 30W diode for most of my cutting. It is truly a game changer for cutting out patterns and parts with great precision. Be sure to invest in several rolls of painters tape to keep your leather held in place. I would also recommend at honeycomb bed. My cutting improved greatly when I started using a honeycomb. 

Thanks Arkie . . . she showed me some of the stuff she had cut . . . and I'm wondering if I can't do it in a couple passes at the most . . . if nothing else . . . if it only leaves a thin bottom thickness  . . . might just do that with a scalpel knife.

I'm having to do something with the thick cutting . . . 78 yr old hands are rebelling against it.  But if most of it is cut in a couple passes . . . me and the scalpel can do the rest.

I'm really excited too because he basically threw in the air assist . . . which is supposed to make the cuts much cleaner.  

I'm gonna start with the pattern a tad big . . . glue it . . . sand it . . . and sew it . . . but will work my way down as I go . . . hopefully one day have them to just a light sanding.

Anyway . . . I truly think you are right in that it will be a game changer.

And if my wife figures out what I spent . . . oh, well . . . :rolleyes2:

May God bless,

Dwight

I hope it works OK for you. I to have hand troubles, my 60 watt co2 cuts 7-8 oz veg tan in one pass. It also engraves very fine details when I use low power.I realize  the cost difference is substantial but I found it worth the difference. also no wife to answer to LOL :o

I have the Laser Master 3, love it, I made my own in closure , but I would buy one next time, with exhaust fan, if you don’t have one I would get a camera, they are pretty cheap.

Congratulations!  On my list...

1 hour ago, Hags said:

Congratulations!  On my list...

We have a facebook marketplace here . . . Chris had 2 of them on there . . . his wife wanted to "go bigger and better" . . . and seeing as it is her hobby . . . he was all set.

There are a bunch of them on the market here . . . so he was getting no movement . . . I came along and asked him for his best price . . . got it for 400.

He still has another one there.

May God bless,

Dwight

How's this working for you, Dwight? I've been thinking about getting something more versatile than the little one I bought to mess around with. I initially looked at a 40w CO2 unit, it's fully enclosed but heavy (so not too portable), cutting area is 12"x8" and the head is a fixed height so trickier to do thicker stuff. Then I looked at a 10w diode-type that has an open-frame, 16"x16" work area and the head is height adjustable - I suspect it is similar to your unit? The diode-type can also do shaded engraving, which the CO2 doesn't do as well. I'm thinking of trying to make "makers' stamps" which I'll need the easier height adjustment for. So is it worth it?

Still don't know where I'll put it if I buy one.:rolleyes2:

4 hours ago, dikman said:

How's this working for you, Dwight? I've been thinking about getting something more versatile than the little one I bought to mess around with. I initially looked at a 40w CO2 unit, it's fully enclosed but heavy (so not too portable), cutting area is 12"x8" and the head is a fixed height so trickier to do thicker stuff. Then I looked at a 10w diode-type that has an open-frame, 16"x16" work area and the head is height adjustable - I suspect it is similar to your unit? The diode-type can also do shaded engraving, which the CO2 doesn't do as well. I'm thinking of trying to make "makers' stamps" which I'll need the easier height adjustment for. So is it worth it?

Still don't know where I'll put it if I buy one.:rolleyes2:

I just finished the doors for my "fully enclosed" work area for both of mine.  

The low powered one is something less than 1 watt I think . . . actually does beautiful work on shading or outlining . . . will definitely use it.

The 10 watt will cut thru plywood (3/16 thick) like it really knows what it is doing . . . and I'm very happy it does.

It'll be doing most of my pattern cutting once I get one simple last touch finished . . . gotta put an exhaust fan on it . . . 

I'll pop up some pics when I'm done . . . maybe even later today.

I did some drinking glasses for my son /DIL for Christmas . . . we were all happy with that outcome . . . 

Will be doing key fobs like they are going out of style later on . . . more than anything else . . . just to use up the scrap . . . maybe make a buck fifty (lol) on the stack of em.

One has a 16 x 16 work area . . . the other is 14 x 14 . . . both with adjustable height . . . 

Glad you are doing well with yours too.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, look forward to the photos. It sounds like the one I'm looking at is the same as yours - 16"x16" work area, bottle roller, air assist, 10w.

5 hours ago, dikman said:

Thanks Dwight, look forward to the photos. It sounds like the one I'm looking at is the same as yours - 16"x16" work area, bottle roller, air assist, 10w.

Well . . . here is the setup . . . Laser 3 is my low powered unit . . . laser 2 is the 10 watt unit . . . and laser 1 shows both in the box I built for them.  In the bottom of laser 1 you can see a hole in the box . . . there is a corresponding hole and fan at the other end.

I tested it tonight . . . wondering if the fan was powerful enough . . . it runs off a USB port . . . and works great . . . is quiet.

I was burning leather . . . and none of the "aroma" slipped out where I was.

Anyway . . . that's the setup.

May God bless,

Dwight

laser 1.jpg

laser 2.jpg

laser 3.jpg