Harryatthebridge

Harry Faversham

I have an original WW2 leather rifle sling that is stiff with age. I would like to soften/re-condition it sufficiently to use. What is the best, and idiot proof way of doing this, please?

I have never worked in leather, so am a complete virgin, and would also like to know availability of products in the UK, that may help. Application of the KISS Principle then, would be most appreciated!

Thanks in anticipation.

:helpsmilie:

5 hours ago, Harryatthebridge said:

have an original WW2 leather rifle sling

Some pictures might help with getting comments and suggestions.

Neatsfoot oil is about as good as it gets for your needs.

Buy a pint of it . . . do not get the "neatsfoot oil COMPOUND" . . . get the genuine stuff . . . leather shops will have it . . . maybe a hardware store or hobby shop.

Buy a little 20mm wide . . . pig hair or other bristle brush . . . they are the cheapest ones made usually . . . and use it to apply a light coat ONLY to the hair side of the leather.  That is the shiny or slick side . . . the flesh side will be rougher . . . kind of like suede leather.

Let it dry for 24 hours . . . if that didn't work . . .  add another coat.

Keep going until you get it where you want it . . . 24 hours between coats . . . but I don't think you'll need more than 3 or 4 coats at the most.

May God bless,

Dwight

Olive oil... It will darken the leather some (most oils will) but it works great.

I would use saddle soap first to clean it up and get rid of the dust etc then very thin layer of neat's-foot, do not overdo the neat's-foot as it will become a soggy mess, little with a few days between repeats

Some say, there's no such thing as a daft question, but this'll come very close!

I've gleaned the pure Neatsfoot oil, cleaned the leather, and am ready to commence operations...

Do you put the oil on both sides of the leather, rough and smooth side?

:feedback:

2 hours ago, Harryatthebridge said:

Some say, there's no such thing as a daft question, but this'll come very close!

I've gleaned the pure Neatsfoot oil, cleaned the leather, and am ready to commence operations...

Do you put the oil on both sides of the leather, rough and smooth side?

:feedback:

Only put it on the smooth side of the leather.

The rough side will absorb too greedily so it will be hard to control. 

Brgds Jonas