Sheilajeanne

Ancient Tool For Leatherworking

Found this absolutely fascinating!  

Approximately 39,600 years ago during the Pleistocene epoch, scientists have come across a fascinating bone fragment that may shed light on the ancient art of tailoring. Discovered near Barcelona in Catalonia, Spain, this artifact is adorned with 28 puncture marks, some of which are not immediately visible. In a recent study published in the journal Science Advances, researchers have put forth a hypothesis suggesting that this prehistoric bone fragment was utilized by ancient artisans for the purpose of crafting clothes.

According to their theory, the bone would have served as a tool for creating holes in leather. By placing the leather over the bone and using a chisel, these skilled craftsmen could produce openings through which they could sew, resulting in exquisitely fitted garments. Remarkably, if proven true, this bone fragment would predate the earliest-known bone eye needles in Europe by 15,000 years, making it the earliest-known example of a punch board. This remarkable discovery provides a glimpse into the resourcefulness and ingenuity of our ancient ancestors in their quest for clothing innovation.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=273275065694898&set=a.116640208025052

393935286_17891042000915698_387560411676

Interesting

Good find

so thats where I put it  ..lol :) . 

On 10/24/2023 at 12:53 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

This remarkable discovery provides a glimpse into the resourcefulness and ingenuity of our ancient ancestors in their quest for clothing innovation.

Those markings are so evenly spaced too. I wonder if it is possible to find out what type of animal the bone came from ?  Great find. 

HS

Handstitched, to me it looks like a jawbone, but I have no idea of the species.  I did a course in university that combined identifying animal bones with archaeology, and a lower jaw is the only thing I can think of that has that size and shape. I could be wrong - there are no tooth sockets. But the bone has no medullary cavity, so it's not a long bone, from a limb, so it could be the part of the jaw below the tooth sockets..  There were lots of species around then that are now extinct - woolly mammoth, sabre-toothed tiger, etc. which makes it difficult to guess the species.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

very cool indeed.

looks like part of a scapula, i butchered out many of them plenty flat and large enough to work on.

Chuck, that was the other bone I was thinking it might be. About the only two possibilities.

from a large animal it would make a nice laptop work table for many things I imagine.