What finish would you recommend for a gun sling? DG uses tankote in his video. Weaver uses leather balm with atom wax. Others use resolene. Trying to figure out what a good finish would be any help appreciated. 

Neatlac  or Saddlelac will give you an acrylic seal if you don't mind the shiny finish. Lots of people on here suggest  Mop n Glow diluted 50/50

I kind of like the shiny finish

They're in a way all the same being finish's, but some are shinier than others. Some you will have to dilute. Most people depending also use as a resist before antiqueing and after.  Same as Tankote and Bagkote, ones shinier than the other. I use Tankote and another I can't remember the name right now, and they're both about the same in the end.

i use snow seal or fiebings mink oil, you want something meant for outdoor use that water resists and protects the leather

I never see anyone recommend Leather-N-Rich but it works fine for me. The hat in my profile pic has been rained on quite a few times and always dries like it never even happened. I've used the aforementioned Mink Oil with similar results but it doesn't have as bright a sheen.

I did see a respected leather worker (Red Nichols, maybe?) criticize it once upon a time but can't remember exactly why.

Given that a rifle sling is going to be handled a lot and outdoors in the weather I reckon a good wax would be the the best option.