AlZilla

Another mystery machine

Can anyone id this old industrial machine? I have another picture from the operator side I'll upload later, much too big for now.

https://maine.craigslist.org/atq/d/dresden-antique-sewing-machine/7674315127.html

There is no kind of identifying anything on the machine. There's a brass tag on the column but not a thing remains to be read.

Thanks

Hey AlZilla,

My bluff is that it is a Wheeler and Wilson Industrial machine, perhaps a #12

@AlZilla Looks like a Singer model #21(forerunner of 111w) to me.Great pics of everything BUT the front!!LOL!! Ask them to turn it around & see if it has a ag on it & maybe another pic or 2 will help us.

Edited by CowboyBob

Thanks, guys.  Here's the operator side. The tag is apparently obliterated but it and the 2 pins above it look suspiciously like something Singer would have done. It does bear a strong resemblance to the W&W 12 but I think it's probably post buyout of W&W by Singer and based on their #12.

mystery-machine.jpg

I had to downsize that pic to get it small enough. When I blow up the original, it looks like a twin needle. I've asked for a closer look.

If I'm reading ISMACS right, I think that makes it a class 22 of unknown revision. I may have to go get it.

Anyone else think it's a 22?

14 hours ago, AlZilla said:

I had to downsize that pic to get it small enough. When I blow up the original, it looks like a twin needle. I've asked for a closer look.

If I'm reading ISMACS right, I think that makes it a class 22 of unknown revision. I may have to go get it.

Anyone else think it's a 22?

Yes,it's a double needle model 22,single needle of this type is model #21,the model #12 has a shorter arm & doesn't have this type of slide plates.Here's a parts list for this machine.

Singer_22W1,_W110.pdf

Edited by CowboyBob

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Here's a parts list for this machine.

Cool. Thank you. I'm thinking I'll try to get down there this weekend. Looks like a fun machine.

18 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

Thanks. I figured it was pretty much a textile machine, but it should be fun.

Well, I dragged it home. Closer inspection of the brass plate and it says 22w156. Looks like it started life with a roller presser but now sports a regular double needle foot. One needle as been removed and the left drive gear for the bobbin backed off so it's been used as a single needle. Everything turns as it should so I'll restore it to double needle function.

Patent dates are 1892 and 1897. Serial number location is still a mystery.

The table top and speed reducer are home brewed. The reducer uses the pillow blocks on a shaft setup with 2 pulleys. I priced that setup out once and if I remember right I was looking at $40 or $50.

I looked around for an operators manual to no avail yet. If someone has a PDF, I'd appreciate a copy.

Thanks for the help getting it ID'd.

I have an early Singer 51w post bed machine (based on a W&W) and the upper section is pretty much the same just a bit shorter.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86292-singer-51w-sv-2-post-bed-machine-restoration/

I have a manual for the 51w and it will work for your machine too. The hook seems to be the same as well so the manual should cover everything.

Give me some time and I´ll upload it if the file is not too big...

EDIT:

well, this one should be even closer ;)

21_w_180.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

2 hours ago, Constabulary said:

well, this one should be even closer

Yes, it is. Probably next to identical.

Thank you!