maggielj

class 3 & 4 buckstitch needle opinions

I recently saw this while browsing, but it is a buckstitch needle for use in a cobra class 3 and 4. Has anyone used these? wondering if they’re worth the hassle. I would assume they could be used in other 441 clones 

cobra buckstitch.PNG

Good reports on them. A shop by me kept an old Landis around that didn't sew, just had a wide needle and used it to punch holes for buckstitching. I think it was Shane Deeter who got these going for the closed eye needle machines. 

I wonder if a Union Lockstitch chisel awl can be fitted into the needle bar of a 441 clone? Mine are at the shop. I'll compare the length and shank diameter on Tuesday and report back. The needle bar can be adjusted up and down as needed. It just needs to take the awl shaft and lock it in. Then the awl can be angled for punching buckstitch holes.

12 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I wonder if a Union Lockstitch chisel awl can be fitted into the needle bar of a 441 clone? Mine are at the shop. I'll compare the length and shank diameter on Tuesday and report back. The needle bar can be adjusted up and down as needed. It just needs to take the awl shaft and lock it in. Then the awl can be angled for punching buckstitch holes.

Why wouldn't a standard LR needle for a 441 work?

4 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Why wouldn't a standard LR needle for a 441 work?

It might do if it is twisted so the chisel is at about 45 degrees. It would probably have to be a #26 needle.

9 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

It might do if it is twisted so the chisel is at about 45 degrees. It would probably have to be a #26 needle.

Perhaps I will just look into ordering some large sized needles and playing around with it. It may be more economical in the long run. Thank you all for the input. A chisel awl is something that may be hard for me to come across but I am curious to see the results.

Thank you,

maggielj

On 11/5/2023 at 1:47 PM, bruce johnson said:

Good reports on them. A shop by me kept an old Landis around that didn't sew, just had a wide needle and used it to punch holes for buckstitching. I think it was Shane Deeter who got these going for the closed eye needle machines. 

Thank you for the input! I will be trying this tool out and trying some large sized needles also.

Thank you!

maggielj

4 hours ago, maggielj said:

Thank you all for the input. A chisel awl is something that may be hard for me to come across but I am curious to see the results.

Campbell-Randall sells Union Lockstitch machines, needles, awls and accessories.

@CowboyBob might have the leather point needles you need that are meant for your machine. You would need to angle the tapered points to get the buckstitch appearance.

On 11/6/2023 at 11:38 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Campbell-Randall sells Union Lockstitch machines, needles, awls and accessories.

@CowboyBob might have the leather point needles you need that are meant for your machine. You would need to angle the tapered points to get the buckstitch appearance.

Would a sewing machine needle be as big as that in any size?  I got a 441 and that looks huge.386708099_Screenshot2023-11-08at00-28-15BuckstitchSewingMachineNeedle.thumb.png.8ec32930380707317142a25ceda553c5.png