Sign in to follow this  
Mocivnik

Tote bag pattern

So, as I got only a few photos to make certain bag (for the missus), does anyone have a pattern simmilar to this bag perhaps? Or can give me a hint or two on how to make a pattern for this kind of a bag?

Appriciate any help.

4mue1QL.png

AqkoLuO.png

2n60LOS.png

gvnt0gG.png

JAL9qdH.png

I just took a bag the wife had and made it better. Measured it out and let her pick out some leather 

Looks like it's just four panels with two functioning as gussets and underlapped with the front and back panel.  My guess is you can replicate the proportions by cutting four equal-sized rectangles and underlapping the edges, and pick the dimensions the missus would find useful.  I thought about doing something similar for a tote bag I'm making my mom for Christmas, but I decided my leather (~5 oz. S.B. Foote chrome tan boot leather) would be too bulky to make attractive overlapped seams.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:57 PM, Mablung said:

Looks like it's just four panels with two functioning as gussets and underlapped with the front and back panel.  My guess is you can replicate the proportions by cutting four equal-sized rectangles and underlapping the edges, and pick the dimensions the missus would find useful.  I thought about doing something similar for a tote bag I'm making my mom for Christmas, but I decided my leather (~5 oz. S.B. Foote chrome tan boot leather) would be too bulky to make attractive overlapped seams.

Thought of it aswell, but just can't figure out the cutouts on the side, without looking too robust.

Trying to get "about" the right pattern, before I can even modify it.

14 hours ago, Mocivnik said:

Thought of it aswell, but just can't figure out the cutouts on the side, without looking too robust.

Trying to get "about" the right pattern, before I can even modify it.

That’s going to depend significantly on what leather you use and what weight. That bag looks like pretty thin chrome tan, with a very shiny finish to it. Probably no more than 2/3 or 3/4 oz stuff. I’ll bet the leather is skived at the side cutouts to avoid creating bulk. 

20 hours ago, Mablung said:

That’s going to depend significantly on what leather you use and what weight. That bag looks like pretty thin chrome tan, with a very shiny finish to it. Probably no more than 2/3 or 3/4 oz stuff. I’ll bet the leather is skived at the side cutouts to avoid creating bulk. 

Vegetable tanned calfskin leather, 1.3-1.6mm thick (3-4 oz.).

47 minutes ago, Mocivnik said:

Vegetable tanned calfskin leather, 1.3-1.6mm thick (3-4 oz.).

Skive the edges well and you can probably keep the seam bulk to a minimum. 

16 hours ago, Mablung said:

Skive the edges well and you can probably keep the seam bulk to a minimum. 

That doesn't seam (pun intended) to be much of a problem.

I'm more concerned about creating a pattern for this bag. Gives me shivers to even start.

1 hour ago, Mocivnik said:

That doesn't seam (pun intended) to be much of a problem.

I'm more concerned about creating a pattern for this bag. Gives me shivers to even start.

Oh, I gotcha. I must have misunderstood what the real issue was. 

It looks almost as though the main panels are wider at the top, like trapezoids. You might try using some heavy cloth or craft foam of a similar thickness to develop the pattern from trial and error. 

3 hours ago, Mablung said:

Why not create a prototype with paper first?

The bag appears to be a very long rectangle forming the 2 main sides and the gussets being wider at the top (trapezoid) and stitched onto the main part to form a rectangular base. Once put together, the extra material on the trapezoid shaped gussets should form that fold  on each gusset naturally.

With paper, you can manipulate the width of the top of the trapezoid shape of the gusset to your  satisfaction and the base as well.  After that, translating into a leather bag should be simple. 

NOTE:

I just made a prototype with paper and I apologize - it is not a trapezoid on the sides, it is a pentagon. Pics follow.

Edited by SUP
To correct earlier information.

front of prototype.png

This is the front of the prototype.

I cannot as yet upload the gusset pic. Will do so in a while.

Edited by SUP

No idea when I can upload the gusset shape  pic. My file size is small enough to remain below the limits. 

Will try later today. Another appointment now.

Edited by SUP

That is the pentagonal gusset

gusset.png

@Mocivnik are you making that bag? Did this information help?