Margretta

16-188 oil well

I just purchased a Singer walking foot industrial machine 16-188, (there is also a 2 stamped below the model number plate). Before I moved it to my shop, I emptied the open oil well (the oil looked like blackish motor oil) so it wouldn't spill. There was a wick hanging into the oil that apparently lubricated the flywheel, which has 2 leather belts - one to the motor and one up to the sewing head. Both old leather belts are slipping, I assume because they seem to be saturated with oil.

What kind of oil should I use to fill the well? Thank you for any help. 

70B4F6FD-A318-459F-90EE-B8F3714BC907_1_105_c.jpeg

AA6C5EF7-AB6E-4735-8DD1-8AFC331883F4_1_105_c.jpeg

sewing machine oil will work fine

glenn

On 11/24/2023 at 3:10 AM, Margretta said:

There was a wick hanging into the oil that apparently lubricated the flywheel, which has 2 leather belts - one to the motor and one up to the sewing head.

The two leather belts indicates to me that the machine has a speed reducer pulley setup and the wick going into the oil cup is to lub the speed reducer pulley bearing. Any light oil should be work. When you replace the pulley belts if possible replace the wick and flush the bearing out.

kgg

kgg -  you suggested I change the wick and flush the bearing out. What should I use for new wick and do you have any suggestions on how to flush it out?

or does anyone else have a suggestion for the wick and flushing out?

Thank you

10 hours ago, Margretta said:

kgg -  you suggested I change the wick and flush the bearing out. What should I use for new wick and do you have any suggestions on how to flush it out?

I re-sized your photo to get a little better look at the speed reducer. It appears from the photo that the wick goes to the bearing for the lever that actuates the motor. I would carefully remove the speed reducer / lever mechanism from the table. That way you could better see how and what the wick actually is suppose to prove oil to. You said " Both old leather belts are slipping, I assume because they seem to be saturated with oil. "  Once you get the belts off can should be able to see the path the wick is taking from the oil pan and how / why the belts are becoming oil soaked. You are going to have to at least try and clean the oil off the belts, remove any oil from the pulleys where the belts set or the belts will continue to slip. If the wick is use to oil the bearing for the lever that actuates the motor you could probably just stub it off and remember to put a few drops of oil on it every once in awhile. If you decide to replace the full wick from the oil pan to it I would suggest threading a new wick through a tube (metal or plastic ) so that the oil doesn't natural drip down on the pulley and belts. 

As for:

i) the wicks think of 100 percent cotton wicks used for oil lanterns which can be had at hardware stores or 100 cotton cording used in upholstery edges on seats which can be had fabric stores. 

ii) cleaning the bearing out by flushing with thin oil and compressed air or even a tin of 10w24.

A couple of additional photo's would help.

kgg

Speed reducer.JPG