Boczs001

Singer 211g165

Just wondering if this machine is worth it, wanting to do wallets and small stuff

Screenshot_20231128_155118_Facebook.jpg

17 hours ago, Boczs001 said:

Just wondering if this machine is worth it, wanting to do wallets and small stuff

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.  More chance of getting help here.

Just from the picture... Machine has no reverse, not necessary but reverse is a bit more comfortable. Good thing is it already has a speed reducer installed which slows down the sewing speed and adds torque. The oil drip pan underneath the table is missing. It has an "old school" clutch motor. Though it has a speed reducer already the clutch motor may be a little hard to control. So a new servo motor is probably what you want Just test it maybe the clutch motor setup  works for you....

See attached file it will gives you some more information

211G165_166_265_266.pdf

5 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Just from the picture... Machine has no reverse, not necessary but reverse is a bit more comfortable. Good thing is it already has a speed reducer installed which slows down the sewing speed and adds torque. The oil drip pan underneath the table is missing. It has an "old school" clutch motor. Though it has a speed reducer already the clutch motor may be a little hard to control. So a new servo motor is probably what you want Just test it maybe the clutch motor setup  works for you....

See attached file it will gives you some more information

211G165_166_265_266.pdf 1.05 MB · 0 downloads

So is the missing oil pan a huge issue?

So is the missing oil pan a huge issue?

They're about $45 on Amazon.  It keeps oil from dripping on you and your pedal.   These machines are oiled by filling a felt filled chamber on the top. The oil then works its way down copper felt lined tubes.  Eventually it drips off into the pan.  Juki's oiled this way have a drip pan with included catch bottle that catches the oil. You have to empty it periodically. 

Not having a reverse is the kiss of death in my mind.  Yes you can work around it but, it's not fun.  I'm getting rid of a needle feed consew primarily because it doesn't have reverse. Price isn't that great for a machine with no reverse.  I paid $300 for the consew. I really just wanted the table.  

Edited by Quade

On 11/28/2023 at 9:58 PM, Boczs001 said:

I wouldn't bother with purchasing this machine particularly since it does not have reverse and it has a clutch motor. Learning to use a clutch motor has for most a steep learning curve. Upgrading the motor to a servo motor will set you back another $150 to $200. I would suggest looking for something like a Juki LU-563 or a Consew 206rb.

What part of Canada are you in? Someone maybe able to suggest a dealer near your location.

kgg 

Try $300  Machine has speed reduction pulley.  The machine has large bobbin. Both servo;s and clutch have start issues. My wife has a clutch motor on her 206 with great control.  I have a 280l with Enduro with needle position I love it. My shop machine  a 206rb-It has a servo just ok. The speed reducer is valuable may help pay for that servo.  Unless you are a nit picker  a pc. of heavy fabric will worker just fine under that machine. I regret I didn't learn to backtack to lock stitches  If you learn  that"s what operators did for 100 years. My wife as a teenager worked in a garment factory and you would not get hired if you could not backtack.  Be aware that non-reverse machines for sale are factory machines and have been sold off either because they are fully depreciated are because of auction of a closed plant so sad.

6 hours ago, ljk said:

Try $300  Machine has speed reduction pulley.  The machine has large bobbin. Both servo;s and clutch have start issues. My wife has a clutch motor on her 206 with great control.  I have a 280l with Enduro with needle position I love it. My shop machine  a 206rb-It has a servo just ok. The speed reducer is valuable may help pay for that servo.  Unless you are a nit picker  a pc. of heavy fabric will worker just fine under that machine. I regret I didn't learn to backtack to lock stitches  If you learn  that"s what operators did for 100 years. My wife as a teenager worked in a garment factory and you would not get hired if you could not backtack.  Be aware that non-reverse machines for sale are factory machines and have been sold off either because they are fully depreciated are because of auction of a closed plant so sad.

As I'm not sewing big items could I just hand crank it backwards a few stitches?

7 hours ago, kgg said:

I wouldn't bother with purchasing this machine particularly since it does not have reverse and it has a clutch motor. Learning to use a clutch motor has for most a steep learning curve. Upgrading the motor to a servo motor will set you back another $150 to $200. I would suggest looking for something like a Juki LU-563 or a Consew 206rb.

What part of Canada are you in? Someone maybe able to suggest a dealer near your location.

kgg 

I'm in Saskatchewan 

32 minutes ago, Boczs001 said:

As I'm not sewing big items could I just hand crank it backwards a few stitches?

That is what I was thinking too when I was new to sewing machines. Not that does not work! ;) But you can turn around the product you sew and make the back stitch that way.

The mechanism of sewing requires that you only turn the crank forward.  It has to do with how the hook moves to catch the thread. When you turn the crank backwards, the hook goes backwards and can no long hook the thread and make stitches.  "Reverse" changes how the feed dogs and needle feed move. The machine is still sewing forwards but the feed dogs and needle are pushing the cloth backwards. 

You can stop with the needle down. rotate the whole work around and drive over some of the stitches you just made.   I've also seen people get the hook into the "release" position then move the work backwards a bit then put the foot down and sew over the existing stitch. 

My wife as a teenager worked in a garment factory and you would not get hired if you could not backtack.  

That seems like an interesting method to know. 

Edited by Quade

I'm going with either the old singer or this sailrite knock off to stay in my price range, I have been watching marketplace only other one I found is a juki lu563 for 800

Screenshot_20231130_095345_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Boczs001 said:

I'm going with either the old singer or this sailrite knock off to stay in my price range,

Be aware that the Omega portable walking foot is nowhere near the quality of an industrial sewing and the internal parts are not going to be that of the Sailrite portable walking foot machines. The portable walking foot machines were designed to sew sail cloth and are more of a domestic sewing machine with a walking foot rather then a industrial sewing machine. You will find as the thickness of the item being sewn increases the stitch length will decrease, the bobbin is that of a class 15 domestic sewing machine bobbin, presser feet are very aggressive. feed dog is very aggressive, only presser feet and feed dogs made for the portable sewing machines will fit and it can only handle V92 thread, which is one size up from domestic V69 thread. If this going to be your only machine I would strongly suggest you look at other options if you want to sew leather.

What is your budget as there maybe other options like a one armed bandit?

kgg

3 minutes ago, kgg said:

Be aware that the Omega portable walking foot is nowhere near the quality of an industrial sewing and the internal parts are not going to be that of the Sailrite portable walking foot machines. The portable walking foot machines were designed to sew sail cloth and are more of a domestic sewing machine with a walking foot rather then a industrial sewing machine. You will find as the thickness of the item being sewn increases the stitch length will decrease, the bobbin is that of a class 15 domestic sewing machine bobbin, presser feet are very aggressive. feed dog is very aggressive, only presser feet and feed dogs made for the portable sewing machines will fit and it can only handle V92 thread, which is one size up from domestic V69 thread. If this going to be your only machine I would strongly suggest you look at other options if you want to sew leather.

What is your budget as there maybe other options like a one armed bandit?

kgg

I'm trying to stay under 1k CAD 

58 minutes ago, Boczs001 said:

I'm trying to stay under 1k CAD 

You are in the used sewing machine market as even a one arm bandit like a Tippmann Boss will probably run $1500 CAD or so with rate of exchange and shipping. The next questions:

i) How thick of leather are you planning on sewing including seams?

ii) What size of tread are you planning on using, size wise?

I think you will be disappointed investing in a Sailrite LSZ-1 clone. Have you checked with places that sell leather, do industrial sewing machine repairs?

kgg

I'm wanting to make wallets, book covers, key chains keeping to the smaller stuff, say max 2 5 oz 

I have been watching marketplace only other one I found is a juki lu563 for 800

I like the Juki.   

51 minutes ago, Quade said:

I like the Juki.

Juki machines overall are excellent often copied but the quality like everything else comes at a price. The price difference can be substantial, an example would be a Juki TSC-441 will set you back about 10 K CAD versus a clone costing about $4000 CAD. On the used market the Juki's are easier to sell and will command a higher price then a similar clone in similar condition. Parts and accessories generally are easier to find at reasonable prices.

kgg