javad57

fortuna skiving machine

25 minutes ago, javad57 said:

hi, I have an fortuna skiving machine 50 PU-AG model, I need to manual instruction of this model, can you help me?

There are lots of YT videos covering every aspect.

28 minutes ago, toxo said:

There are lots of YT videos covering every aspect.

I am also having trouble finding videos on bell skiver settings, other than the basic summary of what the knobs do (often by people who know less about the machine than I do).  @RockyAussie has one of the best videos on sharpening and some setup for skiving, but I'd like a manual/video that systematically shows how to set up the machine for various weights and tempers of leather.  I am trying to understand the interplay between bell knife position, presser foot height, drive roller height and spring tension.  Also, the use of various roller feet for angled skives.   I am trying to figure out if I can skive the edges of 9-10 oz veg tan straps in an angled skive to about 3-4 oz thickness on the edge.  Having some success but it would be helpful to know more about how to dial in the machine.  

59 minutes ago, TomE said:

I am also having trouble finding videos on bell skiver settings, other than the basic summary of what the knobs do (often by people who know less about the machine than I do).  @RockyAussie has one of the best videos on sharpening and some setup for skiving, but I'd like a manual/video that systematically shows how to set up the machine for various weights and tempers of leather.  I am trying to understand the interplay between bell knife position, presser foot height, drive roller height and spring tension.  Also, the use of various roller feet for angled skives.   I am trying to figure out if I can skive the edges of 9-10 oz veg tan straps in an angled skive to about 3-4 oz thickness on the edge.  Having some success but it would be helpful to know more about how to dial in the machine.  

Once you apprecfiate that the bell doesn't move and the rollers only job is to push the material through to  the bell then you realise that any adjustment must be done with the stuff on top. If you get the presser foot absolutely parallel with the bell you can skive all the way across the piece. If you want to angle the skive along the edge you simply adjust the presser foot so the back is the thickness you want and the front of the presser foot is the thickness of the leather. Sometimes you have to trial and error. One roller type may work better than another. Various rollers include ribbed steel, rubber and a coarse stone type.

People on here know how much I love Cechaflo, not least because all the waffle on most YT vids drive me crazy and you'll never hear a word from Cechaflo. He's also an absolute genius around leather machines. Have a look at this page. I guarantee you'll be wiser at the end of it.

https://www.youtube.com/@Cechaflo/search?query=skiving

3 hours ago, toxo said:

Once you apprecfiate that the bell doesn't move and the rollers only job is to push the material through to  the bell then you realise that any adjustment must be done with the stuff on top. If you get the presser foot absolutely parallel with the bell you can skive all the way across the piece. If you want to angle the skive along the edge you simply adjust the presser foot so the back is the thickness you want and the front of the presser foot is the thickness of the leather. Sometimes you have to trial and error. One roller type may work better than another. Various rollers include ribbed steel, rubber and a coarse stone type.

People on here know how much I love Cechaflo, not least because all the waffle on most YT vids drive me crazy and you'll never hear a word from Cechaflo. He's also an absolute genius around leather machines. Have a look at this page. I guarantee you'll be wiser at the end of it.

https://www.youtube.com/@Cechaflo/search?query=skiving

Hmmm.  My bell can be adjusted towards and away from the foot, I assume to account for wear from sharpening.  Techsew suggests backing away from the foot (~1mm gap) for firmer leather.    Similarly they suggest reducing spring tension on the roller when skiving thicker leather.  I'll have a look at the Cechaflo videos.