CrimsonCloud13

Which machine is better?

I'm new to industrial walking foot machines and leather work. I saw two machines for sale but unsure of which to get. A Singer 111w155 which I see a lot of info online about and a Singer 153wsv13 which has virtually no info online about but I see similar machines for sale. I know the open arm is generally a more versatile choice but like I said, I am having trouble finding into on the 153wsv13. Anyone have info about this model?

20231207_125721.jpg

20231207_125701.jpg

3 hours ago, CrimsonCloud13 said:

I'm new to industrial walking foot machines

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.

You will be struggling to find any information on the WSV13. The SV indicates it is a "special version"/"special variation" (no-one's sure exactly what it stands for) of a standard model. Singer made a lot of these SV versions of different models but what they were for is anyone's guess. The W indicates it was made at the Bridgeport USA plant but that burnt down with the subsequent loss of most of their records.

Having both would be nice (if the price is right) as a cylinder arm can be useful, but if I could only have one it would be the 155, it is quite highly regarded, is a reasonably heavy duty machine and feet, bobbins etc are readily available.

You also don't mention what you want to make (If you say holsters then neither would be suitable!!).

Thanks!! I thought as much. Then I will get the 155 for sure! I can't wait to pick it up saturday I'm planning to make seat covers for my motorcycles amd maybe some fun custom creations and hopefully reupholster my old whiskey barrel couch which is now falling apart (see picture below). I'm hoping I can try to reupholster it with the same colors and pattern but it will be a real challenge. I want to dabble in leather craft as well. Just out of curiosity, what machine works for a holster?

Screenshot_20231207-204321_Instagram.jpg

20231207_204704.jpg

The 155 falls into a category referred to as "upholstery class" so should be more than adequate for what you want to do. For holsters you need a heavy-duty machine due to the thickness of leather involved. The most commonly used ones are referred to as class 4 machines, clones of a Juki 441. These have long thick needles, will handle thicker thread and clear 3/4" - 7/8" under the foot (most upholstery class clear 3/8", I think the 155 will clear 1/2").

One other thing to consider, it's likely the machine has a clutch motor and these can require some time to master if you want to sew slowly (which most of us do when working with leather). Replacing the motor with a servo motor, and possibly a speed reducer too, will make slow speed sewing much easier and may save you much frustration.

Thanks for the insight! Is there a specific thread online that explains which servo motor to get and how to install it with a speed reducer?

If you spend some time searching on here there have been many posts written about servos. Should keep you amused for a while.:)

11 hours ago, CrimsonCloud13 said:

Thanks for the insight! Is there a specific thread online that explains which servo motor to get and how to install it with a speed reducer?

Yeah, @dikman is right, there are tons of threads about speed reducers.  This page https://tolindsewmach.com/motors.html has the 2 basic styles you see at the bottom of the page.  You can also DIY it with parts from the hardware store, an axle of some kind, a couple of pulleys and pillow blocks. Only limited by your imagination.  For me, the cost of the parts is high enough that I've just bought commercial ones.

Edited by AlZilla