Jamesgentry270

Servo motor question

Im getting a servo for my 111w  but my question is, what belt do I need to order with it? I seen that my clutch motor belt will not work with it. Is that correct? And is one motor better than the others? I’d also like to look into a speed reducer but I don’t know which to get or which I need to get. Any suggestions? 

There are about 6.9 billion threads on here about servos and speed reducers.  You can spend a couple days digesting them all or you can go here and order one of each.

The belt you'll get at the local hardware store, it's a standard 3L belt.

2 hours ago, Jamesgentry270 said:

Im getting a servo for my 111w  but my question is, what belt do I need to order with it? I seen that my clutch motor belt will not work with it. Is that correct? And is one motor better than the others? I’d also like to look into a speed reducer but I don’t know which to get or which I need to get. Any suggestions? 

For your belt length, use a online belt length calculator. You will need to know all your pulley diameters before ordering a belt using a belt length calculator. 

4 hours ago, Jamesgentry270 said:

Im getting a servo for my 111w  but my question is, what belt do I need to order with it? I seen that my clutch motor belt will not work with it. Is that correct?

It may fit just depends on the servo motor you get, how far it hangs down from the bottom of the table and the size of pulley it has or you are placing on the servo motor shaft. If you have to get a new belt a lot of people just use the 3L V belts you can get at hardware / auto supply stores.

4 hours ago, Jamesgentry270 said:

And is one motor better than the others?

Yes there can be quite a difference in quality of servo motors. There are basically to versions of servo motors. Depending on what continent you live on one or both versions maybe available.

i) One is a servo motor that uses brushes inside the motor and speed is typically set by a simple turn dial. A 550 watt should work find with the Singer 111W.

ii) The other version is a brushless servo motor which has a box of electronics that controls the speed. If you decide to go this route then the more internal coils the servo motor has the better the servo motor. The cheap Chinese ones typically have 6 coils while the better ones like the Reliable 6000sm or Sailrite Workhorse have 12 coils. A lot of the brushless servo motors have or have the ability to install needle positioning. The problem with that is that if you install a speed reducer chances are the needle positioning will not work.

Another point to note is the startup rpm's on the some are in the 200 range while others are in the 500 range. A speed reducer will help to smooth out any noticeable jump on startup. 

My attitude is the less electronics the better.

kgg

If you can find either a piece of rope or an extension cord that measures about 3/8" in diamter, you can get real close to measuring the size of belt you will need.  I have a flat 3 wire electric cord that is perfect for measuring, I've also calculated the belt size with an on-line calculator and both were spot on.

12 hours ago, fibersport said:

If you can find either a piece of rope or an extension cord that measures about 3/8" in diamter, you can get real close to measuring the size of belt you will need.  I have a flat 3 wire electric cord that is perfect for measuring, I've also calculated the belt size with an on-line calculator and both were spot on.

Yea I like the idea of the consew with the knob and I feel like the servo will make it much slower compared to this clutch motor but the speed reducer will probably make it that much more badass. I also like the looks of the outlaw stitcher for my thick stuff and keep the 111 for wallets and the such. I just don’t feel confident enough to use it on a customer’s project so I’m still hand stitching. But I feel like at least the servo will be a huge upgrade from where I’m at 

After fitting my servo I took the old belt to my local car parts store and asked for same width and a couple of inches shorter. First try was too long, they swapped it for the next size down - bingo!