Mulesaw

Repairing chaps

A year ago I made a set of nice shotgun chaps for our son.

At some point this summer he had been clearing out a bit in the stable where his horses were, and some stuff came home - including the chaps. 
Most of this stuff (all of it I think) ended up in a pile in a box on the floor of our own stable. Our dogs have their kennel in connection with the stable, so they can stay inside when the weather is too hot or for whatever reason they might have. The labradoodle must have been bored at some point, because one day I discovered the chaps in a not quite mint condition..

He has been pretty efficient in chewing on the chaps. Both yokes were damaged, the back part of the belt was completely missing. The front belt was missing save the non buckle end. A bit of the softer leather had also taken a biting, but at least he had stayed from the zippers.

So in order to get the chaps back in order I had to make new yokes, a new back belt, half a new front belt and then sew it all onto the legs.  Hopefully they'll last more than a year this time.

IMG_4498.jpg.f90651fa497dea93317a5f00e767bdba.jpg

The culprit with his work :-)

IMG_4499.jpg.921bb060b0821f6bc38a790690bd290c.jpg

Examining if he did the job thoroughly..

IMG_4500.jpg.7f8e2d41bac8b7ad44fa6647acb2659c.jpg

Barely missed the zipper

IMG_4501.jpg.7f1dadb7afd6ba6106c554728526f585.jpg

Shortened belt.

IMG_4502.jpg.6dbdc517447013a9763a5df85f3ca48f.jpg

There used to be a back belt here.

:jawdropper: OMG well there's a lesson in everything lol a story to remember.  the good part is there was something left to repair, my bullies would have left nothing. 

Nice to see your still here!!! 

Dogs that would mess my equipment up like that . . . just might wind up someone else's dog right quick.

If they lived thru the exercise.

Dogs are like kids . . . they need edjumacation . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

@chuck123wapati Yes he was kind enough to just chew on the veg tan  :-) So the repair job was doable, 
I haven't done much leatherwork this year, kind of lots going on with the breast cancer and what not, but now I'm back on the ship, so I thought that I'd better contribute a little to the community again :-)
It's nice to be back though.

@Dwight It is a bit of a difficult situation, since I kind of blame my son for leaving his stuff on the floor like that, and the dog is primarily my wife's, and as long as you don't catch a dog in the act, there's not much point in cursing at them. 
But still I was slightly annoyed (to put it mildly) Since I had put a lot of pride into making the chaps last year. 

Brgds Jonas

On 12/30/2023 at 9:26 AM, Mulesaw said:

@chuck123wapati Yes he was kind enough to just chew on the veg tan  :-) So the repair job was doable, 
I haven't done much leatherwork this year, kind of lots going on with the breast cancer and what not, but now I'm back on the ship, so I thought that I'd better contribute a little to the community again :-)
It's nice to be back though.

@Dwight It is a bit of a difficult situation, since I kind of blame my son for leaving his stuff on the floor like that, and the dog is primarily my wife's, and as long as you don't catch a dog in the act, there's not much point in cursing at them. 
But still I was slightly annoyed (to put it mildly) Since I had put a lot of pride into making the chaps last year. 

Brgds Jonas

Sorry I missed this.  Good to hear from you again, Jonas.  Sorry to hear about the illness.  Hope all is well now.  Pet damage is maddening sometimes.  It seems like you have taken a "philosophical point of view".  It has been my experience that it is much harder to train humans than animals.  :nono: 

Jim