Asavva

Leather finish (tokonole) looks weird

Ordered some tokonole for the first time, and it came during freezing cold temperatures. It was left out in the cold for around half a day, though it didn't freeze.

Does this look normal/usable, or is it ruined? The videos and images I saw of it showed a smoother texture, so I'm worried.

image.png

Edited by Northmount
copied 3rd party hosted photo and uploaded here

It doesn't look like any Tokonole I've ever used.  It looks more like sourdough starter.  Try it on some scrap and see how it works out for you.  It might be okay.

It might not have frozen at your house, but it could have during transport.

I had a similar occurrence, this past summer it got extremely hot and humid here in Florida, more than it usually does. My Tokonole looked like a curdled dairy product. And it smelled odd. Very close to your picture. I would bet it encountered extreme temp change.

The color is off too. Tokonole is white....yours looks yellowish...maybe it's just the picture though

Thin it with a little water if needed otherwise it's probably fine for edges or burnishing the flesh side. I have some that's a little runny and some that's really thick. Still works fine.

10 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

The color is off too. Tokonole is white....yours looks yellowish...maybe it's just the picture though

that would be the lighting.

11 hours ago, rleather said:

I had a similar occurrence, this past summer it got extremely hot and humid here in Florida, more than it usually does. My Tokonole looked like a curdled dairy product. And it smelled odd. Very close to your picture. I would bet it encountered extreme temp change.

13 hours ago, Aven said:

It doesn't look like any Tokonole I've ever used.  It looks more like sourdough starter.  Try it on some scrap and see how it works out for you.  It might be okay.

It might not have frozen at your house, but it could have during transport.

yeah, that's what happened, though it does seem to be working fine, and is back to a more creamy consistency now that it's had time to come to room temp.

Looks like a cheese dip I once had :dunno: Although I wouldn't want to eat it. 

HS