AndrewWR

Bull hide apron

Just finished a workshop apron for myself. Ths is primarily as body armour when woodworking, not for the relatively danger free pastime of leather working.

The main material is 3-4mm thich bull hide with a nubuck, brushed finish. The trim and strapwork are bridle hide for contrast. The hardware is stainless steel.

The straps are temporary, adjustable ones but, once I've settled on the exact length I want, I'll make sewn on, fixed length ones and lose the conwy buckles. 

I settled on the crossover strap design because it negates any need for a waist belt. The apron drapes naturally around the body. 

This leather isn't very stiff but its probably heavier than most people would use for this unless, like me, they've been hit by a kickback off a tablesaw. 

Not the most exciting leatherwork project but practical.

1486993804_20240118_152740(Large).thumb.jpg.24a8743ae97d98647750a48e1d8d23b8.jpg912774415_20240118_152845(Large).thumb.jpg.5b1e8a558e81a1eae5fc331a2d61d152.jpg

Nice work. Looks great. 

Great looking apron.  And I wouldn't be too quick to make the straps fixed length.  I don't know about others, but I know that I'm not the same size that I was a couple years ago.

/dwight

Nice job

Been there with the kickback a time or two. I have to always remember to stand about a foot to the left.

Good apron design with the crossed straps instead of the waist strap. I might have to make one myself like that. Yep, familiar with kickbacks, too. Not only is an apron good for protection but it keeps your clothes from getting too trashed.

Can't say your shop shoes would be my choice, though. :lol:

Looks good!