LiftPig

Used Artisan Toro 3200

Good morning all,

I was approached by a family friend and given the opportunity to purchase a used Artisan Toro 3200.  I've been in the market for a 441 clone anyway so this is good timing.  The person who has it knows very little about it.  He bought it, he thinks, about 15 years ago and it was too heavy for his needs so it's been stored ever since.  He has no idea what motor is on it.  I haven't laid eyes on it yet.

I have a Class 26 so I'm not an utter newbie to machines but I'm no expert either. Is there anything specific on this I should look for or look out for?  Before I go look for it and make an offer I'd like to know what to look for.

Cheers,

Jordan

Edited by LiftPig

The Toro 3200 is a cross-clone of an Adler 205 and a Juki 441. It is in the same capacity class as a Cobra Class 4 and a Cowboy cb4500. However, it has a 4 inch shorter cylinder arm. This matches the Adler 205. I would try out the machine first, as it has been sitting unused for 15 years. Bring some sewing machine oil if you have some. The machine will likely be dry and should be oiled before you try running it at any appreciable speed. If it forms good stitches in your leather, make an offer. But, be aware of the current prices of brand new machines from Cowboy and Cobra.

I have some oil and whatnot I can bring when I look at it.  That's a great suggestion.

Wiz, do you know what motors shipped w/ those back around that time?  I'm guessing I'll probably end up replacing the motor and I'd also bet there's no speed reducer (just a hunch) so that'll have to go into my calculations.  Right now the figure I have in my head is if it runs okay I'll offer up to $1000, get an ACF-681 motor (~$500 shipped).  With that 1,100 watt motor I shouldn't need the speed reducer, right?

The Artisan Toro is a 12" version of a 441 clone. Mine came with a 800 watt servo with a 2" pulley, and a 10" hand wheel pulley, giving you 5:1 reduction. All other specs match Cobra, cowboy and techsew. Had mine for about 8 yrs and only one adjustment was  needed once the machine was broke in.

56 minutes ago, LiftPig said:

I have some oil and whatnot I can bring when I look at it.  That's a great suggestion.

Wiz, do you know what motors shipped w/ those back around that time?  I'm guessing I'll probably end up replacing the motor and I'd also bet there's no speed reducer (just a hunch) so that'll have to go into my calculations.  Right now the figure I have in my head is if it runs okay I'll offer up to $1000, get an ACF-681 motor (~$500 shipped).  With that 1,100 watt motor I shouldn't need the speed reducer, right?

should be similar/same watt set-up as this older Artisan 3200 I have had for several years,  good watt, programmable servo and added reduction. mdl. ( ACF-622 b brushless servo )

-

servo.thumb.jpg.b8df8b7421d6979bf019bd37c0125666.jpg

-

A speed reducer is always a good thing to have. With a speed reducer you will have much more torque to punch thru thick leather 

With an 800 watt motor at 5:1 reduction, a speed reducer is not needed. It will run slower than cold molasses now.