Pit of despair.  Sewing a zipper into the heel of a riding boot.  First time installing a zipper. I welcome your tips and advice.  My double stick tape didn't stick to the leather so I used a dab of Barge cement on the bottom and binder clips to hold the zipper for sewing.  I hand sewed the zipper into the heel then used a machine for the rest.

untitled-1.thumb.jpg.527e8ef7ba16f054411c6b9093bce30f.jpg

untitled-7.thumb.jpg.4e85143876c367539ed4ef928ae3070a.jpg

untitled-8.thumb.jpg.730c9cb601456586ffca9be491aa08b6.jpg

Nice work. Looks great. That looks real difficult to do thou. Outstanding work.

When I do zippers . . . I use Weldwood and contact cement them into place . . . 

Works great.

You just have to be sure to use two coats most of the time . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Amazing the work you do.  Zippers scare me, but I have sewn them into cantle bags.  Easy stuff compared to your boots.  I use rubber cement when sewing them, and the clips like you used.  The cement is just to hold the zipper in place while sewing.

17 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Nice work. Looks great. That looks real difficult to do thou. Outstanding work.

Thanks.  Just tedious work.  All's well that ends well.  I am told there's a robust market for replacing these zippers on boots costing $300-$500+.  This one was learning/practice done for a friend.  I think I'd charge $80 for the repair.  About 1 hr per boot with the hand sewing.  Not sure if a patcher could sew around the heel end of the zipper.  I used a small cylinder arm machine to finish sewing the sides.

13 hours ago, Dwight said:

When I do zippers . . . I use Weldwood and contact cement them into place . . . 

Works great.

You just have to be sure to use two coats most of the time . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks, @Dwight.  Another fellow pointed me to a strong adhesive basting tape sold by Wawak sewing supplies.  It appears to be heavier tape than the double sided tape sold by office supplies.  If it works it would be faster than glueing.

13 hours ago, Goldshot Ron said:

Amazing the work you do.  Zippers scare me, but I have sewn them into cantle bags.  Easy stuff compared to your boots.  I use rubber cement when sewing them, and the clips like you used.  The cement is just to hold the zipper in place while sewing.

Thanks, Ron.  Yes, they scare me too.  I think with the basting tape I mentioned above I might be able to place the closed zipper in the boot, avoiding wrinkles especially near the heel, then open the zipper to sew it in place.

Edited by TomE

On 1/31/2024 at 4:39 PM, TomE said:

First time installing a zipper. I welcome your tips and advice.

You're very brave. Good work.