Tirediron

Question about letter codes in a Pfaff CLPMN

Hello all,

Ive got an opportunity to purchase a Pfaff 545-H4-6/01 CLPMN

I did some research here and see that the "L" designates this machine as a leather sewing machine, instead of a "S" which is for fabric.  I do aauto uphostery work in heavy fabrics and, of course, vinyl.  My question is would this not be a good machine for me due to the leather designation or would I be okay?  Is there a significant difference between the two and what does the difference pertain to?  I sew on a Consew 226R.  Would this be a significant upgrade for me?  Thanks for any assistance!

~martin

1 hour ago, Tirediron said:

I do aauto uphostery work in heavy fabrics and, of course, vinyl.  My question is would this not be a good machine for me due to the leather designation or would I be okay?

It is a fine upholstery and medium duty leather sewing machine. It can easily handle thread sizes 69 through 138, top and bottom. The high foot lift will let you clear thick seams or hardware. This machine has been discussed several times on Leatherworker.net: here and here are just two good topics.

Yes,buy it's a great machine for auto upholstery.

I have almost the same machine except mine is the H3 version which is not the high lift model.  I am currently making a set of seat covers out of leather and have also made some practice covers out of vinyl and it works great.  I'm a novice to sewing so my experience is limited but it does everything I've asked it to do.  I did install a Consew 550 servo motor with a small pulley to slow it down which also works great, I can basically sew a stitch or two at a time.  Parts are a little hard to find and are a little pricey but since I'm doing this only as a hobby that's OK.  Watch out for vendors that say their presser feet will work, some won't fit.  Keep it oiled up and it will run forever.  Not sure what you have on manuals but there are a couple made for the 1245 that work for adjustments and use, the machines are pretty much the same in basic design, the original manuals for the 545 were a little light in information if you ask me.  I have some information on the machine I can share, let me know if you need any.

Thanks everyone.  I sure appreciate the help.   I am going to see/buy it on Monday.  I currently sew on a Consew 226R...Would this Pfaff be an upgrade?  They look fairly similar in build.  I do see that the stitch length adj is much simpler on the Pfaff,

33 minutes ago, Tirediron said:

Thanks everyone.  I sure appreciate the help.   I am going to see/buy it on Monday.  I currently sew on a Consew 226R...Would this Pfaff be an upgrade?  They look fairly similar in build.  I do see that the stitch length adj is much simpler on the Pfaff,

The only advantage of this machine over the Consew is the higher lift & easier stitch length adjustment.It should take a longer (190R) needle and only Pfaff feet fit Pfaff's so they tend to cost more $.If you were to buy a Juki 562,563,1541 or 1508 your Consew feet will interchange.

Okay that's all good to know. Thanks.  One more question about the differences between the two machines..and then I'll drop it, promise!

Is the Pfaff, being a German-built machine more reliable or longer-lasting machine than the Consew?

Define longer lasting.  My personal opinion is that with proper maintenace, either machine will be running long after we're gone.  Another thought, Pfaff's were built in China in later years if I'm not mistaken, although their current line seems to be only embroidery and clothing directed.  I think the main question is how would you use the machine?  If it were for hobby use and the price and the machine was right, then go with it, if you're setting up a business where downtime waiting on parts would hurt, you might want to look for something more current.  Only my $0.02 ...

Thanks everyone for the good info.  I went ahead and bought the Pfaff...it was so inexpensive that I just had too.  I'll use my Consew and this one both and then decide which I like better and then sell the other.  First step will be a major cleaning, lubing, and swap out the olf clutch motor for a servo.  I'll no doubt have more questions for the group!

Do yourself a favor and get a speed reducer. With the speed reducer and a servo motor you have more torque and even slower and more controlled sewing.