Pretty sure these were a gimmick from a couple decades back. I scored 3 of them, I'm assuming they are mainly for shop decor and not really good for carving. Does anyone who used these have any thoughts or comments about them?

I tried em in the 80's, but didn't care for 'em.  Coulda been I just got bad ones, who knows - never tried em again.  They were advertised as basically indestructable, stay sharp forever.  Those I bought weren't that sharp when I got 'em, and I don't like having to FIX a tool BEFORE I use it.

I loved the one I got in the 70,s when I first started leather craft but then years ago I found leather wranglers and that is by far the best blade I have ever used.

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I tried em in the 80's, but didn't care for 'em.  Coulda been I just got bad ones, who knows - never tried em again.  They were advertised as basically indestructable, stay sharp forever.  Those I bought weren't that sharp when I got 'em, and I don't like having to FIX a tool BEFORE I use it.

Yeah I was getting a eagle carving class from Jim linnell someone asked him at the table if the ruby blade was any good. He said if you wanna make good money come up with a gimmick. A swivel knife blade that never dulls or a yoke that never stops spinning then he chuckled.

4 hours ago, purplefox66 said:

I loved the one I got in the 70,s when I first started leather craft but then years ago I found leather wranglers and that is by far the best blade I have ever used.

That brass one they have is next for the collection

3 hours ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

pictchures?

I will post pics when they come in.

The ruby blades are sharp and the advantage was they never needed sharpening, only stropping. True enough but they were very brittle and prone to chipping very easily which then made them fairly useless when that happened. Doesn't take much to do that - just tapping against the stamp rock or hitting another tool can do it. Tandy had a program to return the blade for $1 or something and they would repair or replace. There have been some really carvers who swear by them and probably more that swore at them. The people that like them take care of them - capped blades and a cradle or woolskin patch to lay them when not using. Once the edge is the least bit dinged - then they drag and chatter like any other crappy blade. Same goes for ceramic blades - good ones are good, bad ones are not. Both require special sharpening equipment and skills to clean up an edge. I've had some good ones through here and they are good, the rest unpack right into the trash. They never show up on my website because there are standing orders for rubies with perfect edges.

Whether you choose to call them a gimmick or not? Your call. Tandy realized 50-60 years ago there were people who didn't know how or care to sharpen and maintain tools. The company was looking for something that came with a sharp edge that needed less maintenance at a price point. Ruby blades didn't work out for everyone as expected is my take on it. 

23 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

The ruby blades are sharp and the advantage was they never needed sharpening, only stropping. True enough but they were very brittle and prone to chipping very easily which then made them fairly useless when that happened. Doesn't take much to do that - just tapping against the stamp rock or hitting another tool can do it. Tandy had a program to return the blade for $1 or something and they would repair or replace. There have been some really carvers who swear by them and probably more that swore at them. The people that like them take care of them - capped blades and a cradle or woolskin patch to lay them when not using. Once the edge is the least bit dinged - then they drag and chatter like any other crappy blade. Same goes for ceramic blades - good ones are good, bad ones are not. Both require special sharpening equipment and skills to clean up an edge. I've had some good ones through here and they are good, the rest unpack right into the trash. They never show up on my website because there are standing orders for rubies with perfect edges.

Whether you choose to call them a gimmick or not? Your call. Tandy realized 50-60 years ago there were people who didn't know how or care to sharpen and maintain tools. The company was looking for something that came with a sharp edge that needed less maintenance at a price point. Ruby blades didn't work out for everyone as expected is my take on it. 

Thank you Bruce. Also just watched your interview on you tube!

10 hours ago, Simplejack1985 said:

Thank you Bruce. Also just watched your interview on you tube!

You are sure welcome, anytime. The podcast with Steve Van Plew was a blast to do, thanks!

Springfield leather sells the Same thing