DieselTech

Money clip wallet=WIP

Guys & gals I decided to make another money clip wallet. Its stamped/tooled with a dragon scale # e803 from Zhong Jiang. It's a bit off, but also the very 1st time of using it. The leather is 4-5oz premium select Quebracho from tandy. 

It is sponge dyed with Fiebings light brown pro dye.  You could not distinguish the dragon scale very good after the dye dried. So I decided to antique it with Fiebings dark brown gel. Looks better to me now.

Then I decided to get fancy or something like that, LOL. & added a plaid sheepskin lining. Its glued in with 3M spray adhesive. 

I got to decide about putting some tooling on the card pockets, something simple. Then dye them. Then I'll add the spring bar money clip in & stitch it up. 

Couple questions: Should I have not ran my dragon scale stamp soo close to the stitch border? & should I have maybe used a camouflage stamp all the way around with the dragon scale stamp? 

Let me know what I'm doing right, wrong or indifferent. 

Thanks. I'm all ears.

phpvWpaTnAM.jpg

phpTl9sA7AM.jpg

phpy3eWfRPM.jpg

Another question for the professionals & seasoned leather workers. 

If I want to add a crease line to the card pockets with my electric creasing machine? 

Do i do it before dying the card pockets? 

Or do I add my crease line after it is dyed? 

Thanks. 

Edited by DieselTech

That looks quite good to me :yes:  As for the cammo stamp , thats personal preference , although it would look nice.  Quite like that stamp . 

I do all my crease lines tooling stamping  etc. before dyeing 

HS

That dragon stamp is sweet. I really like the plaid lining! Yeah I think you need some sort of camouflage border. Looks like something is missing around the edges.

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

That looks quite good to me :yes:  As for the cammo stamp , thats personal preference , although it would look nice.  Quite like that stamp . 

I do all my crease lines tooling stamping  etc. before dyeing 

HS

Thanks I appreciate it. Yeah the Zhong Jiang stamps are nice, but they are almost as pricey as Barry King stamps. 

40 minutes ago, Ddat said:

That dragon stamp is sweet. I really like the plaid lining! Yeah I think you need some sort of camouflage border. Looks like something is missing around the edges.

Yeah I keep asking myself what border/camouflage stamp would look good with the dragon scale. Lol I keep telling myself it is missing something, just not sure what. 

Thanks. 

I'm only familiar with the classic fan type. I look forward to suggestions from other stamping folks.

Guys & gals I finally got it done. After having to re-line it. Dang glue incompatibility or old spray adhesive, had to peel it off & then skive the rest off. 

But I saved it! Here it is. Sewn together with .55mm poly-braid rust red thread. Had my new electric creaser a bit hot. But it will be ok. 

Well how bad did I mess up? Also like to add I sewed this 1 all the way around. 

Thanks.

phpqbPULxPM.jpg

phpkMeB8IPM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech

Put the finishing touches on it. Rubbed in some Skidmores conditioning cream & buffed it out with a horse hair brush. 

It's got some more color depth & sheen now. 

phpii1W3GPM.jpg

phpFXeBNqPM.jpg

That's looking mighty good. The stitching all the way around looks good. Skidmore's is great stuff. I use it on most projects.

12 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

That's looking mighty good. The stitching all the way around looks good. Skidmore's is great stuff. I use it on most projects.

Thanks. Lmao it only took me a month. 

I like the skidmores conditioning cream, it darkens the leather a bit at application, but the color always seems to lighten back to the original color after a day of sitting. Plus it smells great. 

2 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks. Lmao it only took me a month. 

I like the skidmores conditioning cream, it darkens the leather a bit at application, but the color always seems to lighten back to the original color after a day of sitting. Plus it smells great. 

If you want a little more sheen, an hour or two after application, burnish the skidmore's with a piece of printer/typing paper.

Edited by MarshalWill

48 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

If you want a little more sheen, an hour or two after application, burnish the skidmore's with a piece of printer/typing paper.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. 

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. 

Here's what you can expect. The belt was not burnished but the holster was.

PXL_20220602_163503520-640x480.jpg.dd889f355d4fb85787cdf3c01833b03e.jpg

Thanks. That looks sharp. So I want to make sure I'm thinking right. I just use plain old white printer paper. 

Also let me ask? 1858 Remington or 1860 Walker?

Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks. That looks sharp. So I want to make sure I'm thinking right. I just use plain old white printer paper. 

Also let me ask? 1858 Remington or 1860 Walker?

Thanks. 

That's the stuff. Plain old printer paper. If there's a shiny side, use that.

1860 Army. The holster is a copy of one of Hickock's. To be really correct, it should be an 1851 Navy. It would be the same fit, though.

Looks great!  Love that stamp.  
Is that a weight in the upper left portion of your first photo?  Tell us about it :)

19 minutes ago, Basically Bob said:

Looks great!  Love that stamp.  
Is that a weight in the upper left portion of your first photo?  Tell us about it :)

No Bob that is my Wuta alcohol spirit lamp in the upper left hand corner. Here is a better pic of it. 

Now here are my leather weights! Caterpillar piston wrist pins. 3.8lbs each. Covered with some 8-9oz veg-tan.

phpD5gY3LAM.jpg

Love those wrist pins! Great idea. I've been using a cutting block with a small anvil bolted to it. A friend of mine is in charge of the county maintenance department. I may have to hit him up for a couple of those.

2 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Love those wrist pins! Great idea. I've been using a cutting block with a small anvil bolted to it. A friend of mine is in charge of the county maintenance department. I may have to hit him up for a couple of those.

Yeah I was going to buy the fancy brass weights, Till I seen they cost $50-$80each. 

These are doing just fine. I should cut them in half to make 4 weights of 1.8lbs each. 

48 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Yeah I was going to buy the fancy brass weights, Till I seen they cost $50-$80each. 

These are doing just fine. I should cut them in half to make 4 weights of 1.8lbs each. 

Cut in half would be perfect. I'll stuff 'em in the chop saw, then.

Nice work, very clean

i use either the 830 or the 431 as the camo for this stamp

image.thumb.jpg.52101bf2f4217222f5774367230fdf6a.jpg

Here is a dragon wallet with out a border camo 

in retrospect,  I wish I had used a camo stamp

IMG_4515.jpeg.93373c9ed2daac2ff756481df00ae8fc.jpegIMG_4514.jpeg.15e063eb8dcd5e759fab3389a6b4c432.jpeg

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Here is a dragon wallet with out a border camo 

in retrospect,  I wish I had used a camo stamp

IMG_4515.jpeg.93373c9ed2daac2ff756481df00ae8fc.jpegIMG_4514.jpeg.15e063eb8dcd5e759fab3389a6b4c432.jpeg

Thanks Frodo, next time I'm shopping for stamps I'll pick them up. 

Looking good there. Nice wallet. 

On 2/19/2024 at 5:28 AM, DieselTech said:

Thanks Frodo, next time I'm shopping for stamps I'll pick them up. 

Looking good there. Nice wallet. 

I played around a little

wjat do you think of this as a border for the scales?

image.thumb.jpg.861bfcd8107449cefd6303622937c328.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.36edca01df0dd3b91efe0ec0238bb56a.jpg