SUP

Lilac handbag.

Just completed yesterday. Pattern from Dieselpunk.ro, with modifications.

Made this to learn how to make rounded handles, split gusset with double compartments and to learn more about zippers.

Learnt that when I glue on zippers they turn out straight; use double sided tape and they unstick and pucker, at least for me.

Lilac handbag front.png

Lilac handbag side.png

Looks mighty nice. Those handles are good looking. Is the lighter leather rigid enough to mold?

Looks great. Nice work. 

@MarshalWill, @DieselTech, thank you.

Both the leathers are some sort of chrome tanned leathers which are of a medium temper but the shape is not due to molding, It is the build itself. 

9 minutes ago, SUP said:

Both the leathers are some sort of chrome tanned leathers which are of a medium temper but the shape is not due to molding, It is the build itself. 

If you get the chance & what to try some excellent double sided tape. 

It's some mean stuff. It has never let me down. 

Try some of makers leather supply double sided tape or rocky mountain double sided tape. 

Stunning looking bag. Great work. 

@DieselTech I will try one of those brands. Using double sided tape is so much easier than gluing anyway. 

Thank you for your kind words about the bag - I am most pleased that  I learnt how to do the edges on chrome-tanned leathers. It just takes experience, since I have found no one who tells you exactly  why you do certain things.  There probably are people though, who have done so - the leatherworker community is incredibly helpful. I want to put up a short post here about how and why you do certain steps but I do not want to offend people who might thing I am getting too big for my boots - I just started leatherwork a year ago, so am very much a newbie.

Edited by SUP

8 minutes ago, SUP said:

@DieselTech I will try one of those brands. Using double sided tape is so much easier than gluing anyway. 

Thank you for your kind words about the bag - I am most pleased that  I learnt how to do the edges on chrome-tanned leathers. It just takes experience, since I have found no one who tells you exactly  why you do certain things.  There probably are people though, who have done so - the leatherworker community is incredibly helpful. I want to put up a short post here about how and why you do certain steps but I do not want to offend people who might thing I am getting too big for my boots - I just started leatherwork a year ago, so am very much a newbie.

I ve been doing this for about 8 years & I'm still a newbie. I've never messed with any chrome tan leather. 

But if you start a thread on edge finishing your leather, I would be willing to read it & try it. 

Thanks. For a year in you are doing great. 

@DieselTech, I will certainly try to put up something then. :)

5 minutes ago, SUP said:

@DieselTech, I will certainly try to put up something then. :)

+1 to such a thread. Phrased appropriately, it will explain why you do what you do and how you learned to do it that way, and invite others with more years and (presumably) more skill to contribute. We all stand a chance to learn something that way.

Edited by Mablung

1 hour ago, SUP said:

I suspected that. Thanks. It's a good looking piece.

9 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

I suspected that. Thanks. It's a good looking piece.

Thank you. And the best thing is, I got the 2 sides for a song at Tandy, about $18 each, on sale! I was shocked but snapped them up. I was also not too afraid to put a knife to them to make this. When the leather is expensive, I get stressed. 

24 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

For a year in you are doing great. 

@DieselTech It would not have been possible without the extensive guidance from all the people here; so many of them that I dare not start naming them because if I miss anyone that would be hurtful.  Really wonderful people!

15 minutes ago, Mablung said:

+1 to such a thread. Phrased appropriately, it will explain why you do what you do and how you learned to do it that way, and invite others with more years and (presumably) more skill to contribute. We all stand a chance to learn something that way.

@Mablung, already started thinking about it. "Phrased appropriately" is absolutely correct. Besides, 'presumably'? That is kind of you. Most of the people surely have much more expertise and skill than I do.

52 minutes ago, SUP said:

Thank you. And the best thing is, I got the 2 sides for a song at Tandy, about $18 each, on sale! I was shocked but snapped them up. I was also not too afraid to put a knife to them to make this. When the leather is expensive, I get stressed. 

@DieselTech It would not have been possible without the extensive guidance from all the people here; so many of them that I dare not start naming them because if I miss anyone that would be hurtful.  Really wonderful people!

@Mablung, already started thinking about it. "Phrased appropriately" is absolutely correct. Besides, 'presumably'? That is kind of you. Most of the people surely have much more expertise and skill than I do.

Yeah I always take advantage of tandys clearance sales. 

Lmao I bought a full Crocodile hide & I'm almost afraid to cut into it. Not from tandy thou. 

I love this site for all the great people willing to help & teach the trade to a new guy like me. 

Yeah a lot of great leather workers/crafters here. Or artists in my eyes.

@SUP I do have a question about your round handle construction. Did you use a rein rounder to achieve your round handles? Or did you just use some type of round stock like rope or something like it & then wrapped it in leather & sew?

Thanks.  

Edited by DieselTech

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

I do have a question about your round handle construction. Did you use a rein rounder to achieve your round handles? Or did you just use some type of round stock like rope or something like it & then wrapped it in leather & sew?

I used a rope and sewed the leather around it - a synthetic one so that it would not rot. I looked up rein rounder and I have no idea how to use it!

Incidentally, I ordered the double sided tape from Rocky Mountain Leather Supply.

Envy you your croc hide!  It is usually so expensive I just skip them. I am still very far from reaching a level of using such expensive leather.:huh:

Edited by SUP

4 hours ago, SUP said:

Just completed yesterday. Pattern from Dieselpunk.ro, with modifications.

Made this to learn how to make rounded handles, split gusset with double compartments and to learn more about zippers.

Learnt that when I glue on zippers they turn out straight; use double sided tape and they unstick and pucker, at least for me.

Lilac handbag front.png

Lilac handbag side.png

Good job!

If I can suggest a slight change. It looks like that centre line on the gusset is just a design feature. I think they always look better sewn inside out before the gusset is attached, it also gives the opportunity to insert a centre divider should you so wish.

44 minutes ago, SUP said:

I used a rope and sewed the leather around it - a synthetic one so that it would not rot. I looked up rein rounder and I have no idea how to use it!

Incidentally, I ordered the double sided tape from Rocky Mountain Leather Supply.

Envy you your croc hide!  It is usually so expensive I just skip them. I am still very far from reaching a level of using such expensive leather.:huh:

Thanks. I look forward to seeing more of your work. You constructed your handles as I would of. Lol Idk how to use a rein rounder either, but watched a few vids on the process. 

@DieselTech I keep feeling that there is so much to learn and just one life to do so! 

@toxo it is, in fact, divided into 2 compartments with that division on the gusset.  It is not just a design feature. Internally, there is a central zippered compartment with two open compartments on either side. It is a very nice pattern by Dieselpunk.ro. 

If I make this again, I think I will make the central division inside out like you describe.

Absolutely love your color choice, and you did a wonderful job ! I know how much work goes into making a project like that, it's not easy until you make a few, and even then it is challenging. Thanks for sharing it with us.

@rleather thank you for those encouraging words.:)

13 minutes ago, SUP said:

@DieselTech I keep feeling that there is so much to learn and just one life to do so! 

@toxo it is, in fact, divided into 2 compartments with that division on the gusset.  It is not just a design feature. Internally, there is a central zippered compartment with two open compartments on either side. It is a very nice pattern by Dieselpunk.ro. 

If I make this again, I think I will make the central division inside out like you describe.

I've done a few Dieselpunk patterns and sometimes it's well worth making sure there isn't a better way to do something. For example, on the Monte Carlo pattern it calls for the bag bottom to be flush with the bottom with the return being inside the bag so to sew it you had to have one hand inside the bag and the other on the outside and it was a pig to sew and took ages. I worked out that if you inverted the bottom it did two things, firstly it meant you could sew it with both hands on the outside which saved at least an hour of sewing and secondly, it meant the bag sat on a rigid rim with the bottom off the ground. If this is not clear I'll try again.

39 minutes ago, SUP said:

Yeah I feel I started this hobby too late in life to learn everything I would like to. 

You are ahead of me it the bag making department, I have yet to try & make a bag.

I need to buy some books on bag & case making, that shows the different types of gussets & when & where is the place to deploy such gussets. 

@DieselTech I tried books and it just did not work. Too impatient, I guess, and I think I am spoilt with getting everything in an instant online these days. I wonder how I managed all through my youth when there was no internet.!  These days, I just buy patterns from Etsy that have specific features that I want to learn and that come with  video. directions. 

@toxo I have not made the Monte Carlo but I think I get what you mean. And I agree; several items I purchase from Etsy I modified or added to, to make it my own and for convenience. I did the same to the rose I put up earlier as well - added a rosehip and sepals and veins on the leaf.  On an earlier bag, I sewed all the sides like you describe above, for a bit of rigidity. But for all that, one needs experience, isn't it?. Now, I am slowly getting an idea.:) Earlier, I was clueless, blindly trying to find my way. Still doing the same, with just a little bit of light visible!

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

Yeah I feel I started this hobby too late in life to learn everything I would like to. 

You are ahead of me it the bag making department, I have yet to try & make a bag.

I need to buy some books on bag & case making, that shows the different types of gussets & when & where is the place to deploy such gussets. 

You're over thinking the whole thing. If you start with a decent pattern, things will fall into place much easier and at the end of it you'll have something to show for it which will leave you eager to do the next one. This was the first bag I ever made in my life. The Motoko 3 pattern from Dieselpunkro. Taught me much more than a book.

2019 028.JPG

50 minutes ago, toxo said:

You're over thinking the whole thing. If you start with a decent pattern, things will fall into place much easier and at the end of it you'll have something to show for it which will leave you eager to do the next one. This was the first bag I ever made in my life. The Motoko 3 pattern from Dieselpunkro. Taught me much more than a book.

2019 028.JPG

Great looking bag. That's awesome for the 1st bag. 

Yeah I dont have a computer & lol I'm kinda computer illiterate. So me I always try to come up with my own pattern. I have been buying a few acrylic patterns/templates. 

I wish more places offered physical patterns to buy. 

Thanks everybody. I just need to make a bag or 2 for the practice & experience.

If you message me I'll see if I can sort you out. I know shipping to the US is horrendous but an A4 envelope can't be that expensive can it?

I know some pattern sellers sell paper patterns. Over here (UK) I could go into a local library where they have computers and they would download and print the file for me.

Edited by toxo
Xtra info.

46 minutes ago, toxo said:

If you message me I'll see if I can sort you out. I know shipping to the US is horrendous but an A4 envelope can't be that expensive can it?

I know some pattern sellers sell paper patterns. Over here (UK) I could go into a local library where they have computers and they would download and print the file for me.

Thanks I'll be in touch. Much appreciated.