SpartanCarry

New member from the Philadelphia area

HI everyone! My name is Doug and I sew bags under my label, Spartan Made Quality Carry. I just joined, though I’ve spent plenty of time on these pages soaking up the knowledge of so many talented and generous people. Hopefully I can share something useful! 

My workshop is entirely made up of vintage machines. I’ve got a Consew 225 walking foot, a Singer 168W post bed, a 31-15, 96, and two 112w double needle machines, one walking foot, one needle feed. Also got an old Merrow that is kind enough to still run, and a Singer 29 patcher that I never use. I have a few other machines to refurbish and either use or sell. 

Oh, I almost forgot, I have several Singer 68 flat bed tackers: a bar tack, and 3/4 and 1” box X tackers. They’re fun. 

I like working with veg-tan and latigo leathers, and have been at this only a few years. I’m practicing my hand-stitching. And my machine sewing is getting better. 

IMG_4598.jpeg

IMG_4597.jpeg

IMG_4596.jpeg

Welcome to the group. Bunch of great people here. 

Welcome! Lived in Delaware county back in the 70s.

Welcome, from about a year away from you as someone could get! Look forward to seeing your work. 

My timing in joining was good. I just accepted a position as an apprentice mechanic at a local textile factory. I’m not officially an apprentice, but I’ll be working with the current head mechanic until I know enough for him to go to part time or retire. Lots of on the job training. I went in totally honest: I’m good with machines and electronics, and have fixed my own machines for a while now. But still, a ton to learn, so I’ll probably a frequent poster from now on. Cheers!

Welcome! Some nice machines. Post some pictures of your work, if you can. 

Welcome. I'm also in the Philadelphia area.