Sign in to follow this  
DieselTech

Bonded polyester thread

Guys & gals where is a good place to get bonded polyester sewing machine thread? 

I'm looking for thread with lots of color options & sizes 138-277 

Thanks. 

Superior thread is running a sale now. 

Try the thread exchange. I myself have never used polyester I have always used bonded nylon. I am a parachute rigger and bonded nylon is what is used in the industry 

7 minutes ago, Hags said:

Superior thread is running a sale now. 

5 minutes ago, purplefox66 said:

Try the thread exchange. I myself have never used polyester I have always used bonded nylon. I am a parachute rigger and bonded nylon is what is used in the industry 

Thanks. I will check them companies out. 

Yeah it seems they offer way more colors in the bonded nylon thread. 

I have to ask what is polyester mainly used for or why polyester instead of bonded nylon. I'm asking because of curiosity. I just bought a paff 145 h4 and it came with a new spool of polyester.

I like the thread from Superior.  Big color selection (including hot pink).

That said, i also like the 'cowboy' brand I bought from Bob K / Toledo Ind Sewing.

What's your thoughts on bonded nylon over bonded polyester for machine sewing.

Is 1 thread more forgiving than the other? 

Do you like 1 over the other thread? 

Thanks. 

On 3/13/2024 at 7:30 PM, DieselTech said:

What's your thoughts on bonded nylon over bonded polyester for machine sewing.

Is 1 thread more forgiving than the other? 

Do you like 1 over the other thread? 

Thanks. 

One is a six, the other seem more like half a dozen.  I've had customers ask, and I tell 'em by the time either wears out, send it back and I'll replace the stitchin' in it - you just pay the shippin'.

They DO sew a bit different, barely, if I'm tellin' the story.  EITHER is fine - but you might notice when switching from one to the other you might adjust the tension just a tad, even with the same weight of thread.

Again, I have and use both, so ...

Originally, I used nylon for no other reason than that's what I had on hand.  I "tried" poly thread because it was available in a color I wanted and the nylon was not, at least with my regular supply stores.  The difference in use is minimal... almost none .. and I dont know there's much difference in the wear of it either.  Somebody said that somebody said poly might be a bit more UV-resistant... but that same 'they' also tell you that tooled leather needs ant-streak and theyz WMD in Iraq ...

32 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

One is a six, the other seem more like half a dozen.  I've had customers ask, and I tell 'em by the time either wears out, send it back and I'll replace the stitchin' in it - you just pay the shippin'.

They DO sew a bit different, barely, if I'm tellin' the story.  EITHER is fine - but you might notice when switching from one to the other you might adjust the tension just a tad, even with the same weight of thread.

Again, I have and use both, so ...

Originally, I used nylon for no other reason than that's what I had on hand.  I "tried" poly thread because it was available in a color I wanted and the nylon was not, at least with my regular supply stores.  The difference in use is minimal... almost none .. and I dont know there's much difference in the wear of it either.  Somebody said that somebody said poly might be a bit more UV-resistant... but that same 'they' also tell you that tooled leather needs ant-streak and theyz WMD in Iraq ...

Yeah I ended up getting a few rolls of each. I've heard a lot of this new bonded nylon has a UV blocker/chemical added to the thread to help protect from UV Ray's.