DavidR1990

Making my first bag without a pattern

Hello Leatherworkercommunity,

My name is David and I very recently joined this forum.

After 2 years of getting to know leatherworking with patterns I found a very nice backpack on printerest for which I could not find a pattern, it's a bag by Jean Luc Parisot.

I decided to give it a shot and try building it on my own. But unfortunately I cant figure out how the pannels are connected with each other. Every way I can come up with would make it look crude or plumb :(

Maybe you could give me some tips on how I can connect the straps to the main body or the upper part with the D-Ring without just simply sewing it on? If somebody has a picture of the back of the bag or a similliar one I would appreciate any visual aid.

Anyway, first post here, hope this is okay.

Thanks in advance from a person at the beginning of his journey into leathercrafting.

great back by Jean Luc Parisot.jpg

Edited by DavidR1990

Looks nice! Beautiful tooling. 

@DavidR1990 That is a beautiful bag.  It is a drawstring bag - you can see the tasseled drawstring on either side of the buckled strap - with a tooled panel stitched around the front and back. This panel seems to go around from the front, form a base to rest the bag on and up the back and more, to form the front closure flap. There is another piece connected to the back of this panel, which connects to the ring and the base of the panel connects to those straps.

I have made a similar one although not so lovely. I am still only a year into leatherworking. While such bags look beautiful, they are rather impractical to use. Each time, to open the bag, one needs to open the buckle, then the drawstring, then loosen the opening before reaching in, then repeat the steps in reverse to  close the bag. So as an example, this is great but usability? Not so much, at least for people like me. :)

I've seen similar patterns for sale on Etsy. You could check there, at least for the attachment of the panel to the pouch and the general shape, then modify from there.

@DavidR1990  

As you said you normally buy, I will just let you know that it is a pattern by maker leather supply.

However, if you are looking to start pattern drafting, might I suggest starting with something simpler and work up to this. Building a good pattern is a chore in itself.

Oh I just seen you are in Germany. MLS is in Texas USA

First of all, welcome to the forum. You won't find a better place to widen your knowledge.

Re; the bag, I'm a bit confused. Is this a bag you made or want to make? If you made it I don't understand the post. It's a wonderful bag and I can't fault it except for maybe some reinforcing stitches on the shoulder straps. Those single rivets might need a bit of help.

Toxo, reread the post, and that will clarify this is a bag made by Jean Luc Parisot.   He wants to make it for himself, but doesn't have a pattern that will show him how to attach the straps.

I've had bags like this with drawstring tops and I agree with what SUP said. It's not the easiest design to use. As a matter of fact, I cringe when I remember one of these bags. The drawstring came open when I picked the bag up and a gallon jar of liquid honey went crashing to the garage floor... :wacko: What a horrible mess that was to clean up!

Anyway, it IS a very pretty bag, and if you really are determined to reproduce it, now you know who to contact. 

56 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Toxo, reread the post, and that will clarify this is a bag made by Jean Luc Parisot.   He wants to make it for himself, but doesn't have a pattern that will show him how to attach the straps.

I've had bags like this with drawstring tops and I agree with what SUP said. It's not the easiest design to use. As a matter of fact, I cringe when I remember one of these bags. The drawstring came open when I picked the bag up and a gallon jar of liquid honey went crashing to the garage floor... :wacko: What a horrible mess that was to clean up!

Anyway, it IS a very pretty bag, and if you really are determined to reproduce it, now you know who to contact. 

Ya see, this is why I can't do  cryptic. My brain is  linear. I can join the dots but if you mix em up I'm knackered. I  guess  I  didn't get past  "I decided to give it a shot ".