AA3JW

Best way to sell a sewing machine

Due to health reasons, I am getting rid of a lot of my stuff. I have a Techsew 3650 HD I want to sell and am wondering the best way to sell it. Any advice appreciated. 

Sorry to hear on your health. Not in need of sewing machine. What else will you be selling?

19 hours ago, AA3JW said:

Due to health reasons, I am getting rid of a lot of my stuff. I have a Techsew 3650 HD I want to sell and am wondering the best way to sell it. Any advice appreciated. 

There's a free classified section for used machines on this site that works good.

20 hours ago, AA3JW said:

My experience only - I buy a lot of tools and sometimes one person hobbyist to smaller shops. My basic rule (broken occasionally) is that I don't buy anything with a motor. It makes life simpler  - shipping costs from a seller to me to a buyer just makes it harder to pencil out on heavy bulky machines and good chance for damage if not professionally broken down and shipped. I usually tell sellers that there is a local market for heavy sewing machines they may not even know about and passing the word around usually gets them sold. Leather groups, supply stores, someone in the leather community, etc. One of the last  shops I bought, the machines sold for local pickup before UPS could get me the tools. 

I always had better luck getting good money on Ebay.   Some will drive to pick up.   Might get just as much out of a head only and you can ship that in a heavy box or wood crate.

Be careful though, I sold an Adler on Ebay (167) and it had a heavy impact somewhere along the line, I suspect UPS dumped it from the truck.....Ended up ordering a new OEM part for the buyer.

The only way I'd try to ship a heavy machine like that is palletized via an LTL carrier. I've seen way, entirely too many sewing machines damaged and destroyed by FedEx and their ilk.

Even then, I wouldn't ship it fully assembled. I'd have that head on its side,strapped like hell and probably build extra supports to keep it in place. Break the table down as much as necessary and give it the same treatment. Then a half mile of shrink wrap around it until it looked like a giant plastic blob. And the selling price would reflect the amount of work it would take.

In truth, I probably wouldn't even try to ship it - I'd do a full court press of local classifieds, ads here, on ebay, craigslist and anywhere I could find, specifying local pickup. Then just be prepared to wait until the right buyer came along. Much better if they pay you in cash, load it themselves and drive off into the sunset than worrying about freight damage.

Good luck with the sale!