Tsiatko

I’m losing hope with my consew 206RB-5 and I need advice.

I’ve had a really extensive learning curve after buying my brand new Consew 206RB-5. Setting up the machine, servo motor and table was chaos; modifying the table for a speed reducer & finding the proper belt sizes was frustrating and challenging; and finding misleading threading instructions in a bunch of instructional videos has been a fun spin on things. Now I’m finally sewing, and the machine is marking up leather and sewing crooked while using multiple layers. I found the screw on top of the machine that is supposed to relieve some of the pressure from the presser foot, but it doesn’t seem to be helping. My understanding now is that I may have to adjust the height of the feed dogs, is that right? I’m also noticing that it’s really stretching my chrome tanned leather, is this just the nature of the compound feed or can I do something about that? Is chrome tanned just the wrong choice material? I’m starting to test some designs now and I know I should expect my own sewing errors as the norm while I learn; but I don’t want to be stretching and marking up good material while I learn. 

Any advice would really be appreciated. I’m starting to think maybe I bought the wrong machine or I’m over my head. I just want to be able to sew some small bags and wallets, and I’ve been fighting with this thing for months. I can get a decent straight stitch on two stacked layers with an obscene amount of seam space, but as soon as I try even two layers near the edge I get stretched leather, crooked edges, sometimes the compound feed even leads me completely off the leather. I ditched the standard foot and currently have a left and right toe zipper foot, switching helped a little but I still feel like I’m not setting this thing up to be cooperative and functional. I’m not sure what to do next. Thanks for reading, maybe I just needed to rant about it but this is all really overwhelming and progress is really slow. I tried adding photos of my setup but the website wouldn’t allow it, so feel free to ask questions I guess. 

First of all I've owned a 206rb since 1975 maybe owned at least 10.  The 206rb-5 is Chinese and ok but does not meet the quality of the Japanese versions. I had a 206rb 5 in my leather shop and it was reliable.  I am willing to look and service this machine.  I'm retired and located in rural Colorado. I do this for only a donation which I give to the local senior center.  I will setup in one of my tables and adjust machine.

I think you need to properly pre-tension  in order to keep the thread properly seated in the tension disk. Your machine may need the maximum height may need to be adjusted. The alternating pressure feet may not be equal or the alternating feet are not set for maximum lifting. The feed dog may need adjustment. It may need to be timed, and the set for proper hook to needle distance.

You would have to pay shipping both ways.  tx Lynn

14 hours ago, Tsiatko said:

I’m also noticing that it’s really stretching my chrome tanned leather, is this just the nature of the compound feed or can I do something about that? Is chrome tanned just the wrong choice material?

A couple of questions:

i) What size of thread are you using??

ii) What size of needle are you using??

iii) How thick is the leather???

iv) Are you using an edge guide??

If I'm not mistake the Consew 206 RB has similar specs as the Juki 1541S (compound feed). My 1541S hates anything under say 4mm particularly soft items that can be pushed down into the needle plate opening. For those type of items I use my Juki 1181N (walking foot) but on occasion have placed a sheet of paper on the needle plate side of the item to help stiffen things up. 

kgg

I have a Consew 206 RB5 made in Japan by Seiko.

First industrial sewing machine I bought. I love the machine and use it for everything from wallet insides to medium heavy belts. Machine will not sew well with anything above 138 thread, I have used 40 and primarily use 69, 92, and 138. Needle size is extremely important. My machine came from a distributor who didn't set the machine up for leather. With an awful lot of help from Wiz on this forum I managed to get things adjusted and set to sew anything I wish even my dungaree cuffs. Do you have a manual? If you do not I can make a copy for you and send to your address if you pay the postage. It isn't a large manual and has a car load of info. Industrial machines have to be set up correctly if you wish to do anything with them. Anyone not motivated to get all the info available, I don't mean You Tube, has no business buying an industrial sewing machine. Just my 2Cents.