SPAknives

Cobra Class 4 Inbound

Hello,

I ordered the Cobra Class 4 Premium with EPS about a week ago. I have been notified it has been shipped and will be here at the end of the week, or 1st of next week. Super excited! I am a huge newbie when it comes to sewing machines.  I am a knifemaker/bladesmith and make mostly knife sheaths. Up to this point I have hand stitched them with a sewing all, or the double needle method. Some of my pouch style sheaths are approaching 3/4" thick towards the opening. I make my welt pretty thick towards the top to allow room for the handle to slide in, then it tapers a lot towards the knife tip. This is why i purchased the 4 instead of the 26. I hope i dolidnt buy to big of a machine! Haha! I also do a lot of inlays and such on my sheaths. I hope I can get it to sew some of the thinner veg tanned paired with the exotic skin inlay. I maybe should not have ordered the premium, and instead purchased some accessories from HE&P. OH well to late now. I will do so anyway.

So a couple of questions! What is a good size thread for knife sheaths? Currently I use the waxed sewing all thread from Tandy. Not sure if that is equivalent to about a 277 or not. Should I use the same size thread around the inlay as I do for the main part of the sheath. I have gone back and forth in the past. Sometimes I use a smaller thread around the inlay. 

If I was to purchase 1 extreme plate and feed dog set from HE&P which should I get? (Thinking of the inlay)

Where is the best place to buy thread and spare bobbins. I think I will use several different colors of thread so plenty of bobbins sounds like a good idea.

Anything else this newb needs to know, or accessories I should get?

Thanks for the Help!!

20240401_135116.jpg

20240401_141700.jpg

Atwood 231104A web.jpg

Atwood_220318-wweb.jpg

10 minutes ago, SPAknives said:

I am a knifemaker/bladesmith and make mostly knife sheaths.

Wow!! Fantastic knives.  I'm sure you will be successful with your new machine.  It takes a little time to sort out the quirks.  Do lots of practise on scrap.  Learn how to turn corners, etc. 

I got a cowboy 4500 last year and I’ll say this, it’s going to change your life! I wish I’d have bought mine 20 years ago. As for thread all I’ve used so far is 277 top and bottom. I just make sheaths and holsters, I haven’t done any inlays yet.

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Wow!! Fantastic knives.  I'm sure you will be successful with your new machine.  It takes a little time to sort out the quirks.  Do lots of practise on scrap.  Learn how to turn corners, etc. 

Thank You! I'm sure there will definitely be some learning curve! Hopefully I can figure it all out!

53 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

I got a cowboy 4500 last year and I’ll say this, it’s going to change your life! I wish I’d have bought mine 20 years ago. As for thread all I’ve used so far is 277 top and bottom. I just make sheaths and holsters, I haven’t done any inlays yet.

Nice! I'm excited to be able to sew sheaths a lot quicker, and more easily. Thanks for your comment! Where have yiu been buying thread and machine supplies from?

Congrats on your new machine. I just got mine a week ago. I been sewing everything I can put my hands on. 

I'm a super newbie to sewing machines also & I bought the premium w/eps package. Plus all of HE&P extreme plates. I think both the cobra plates & HE&P plates will both have their uses. 

I have been using the #23 extreme plate & feed dog, &  I'm beginning to love it. It would be my choice for inlay. 

I buy my thread and bobbins from Leather Machine Company or businesses that distribute LMC machines. For sheaths I would say any thread size 138 and larger is good. You should join the Facebook group "Tips and and Tricks with Cobra Class Leatherworking Machines" it is an excellent group for technical support issues and is endorsed by Leather Machine Company.

The threads I've bought came from Toledo Industrial and Superior Threads.

7 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Congrats on your new machine. I just got mine a week ago. I been sewing everything I can put my hands on. 

I'm a super newbie to sewing machines also & I bought the premium w/eps package. Plus all of HE&P extreme plates. I think both the cobra plates & HE&P plates will both have their uses. 

I have been using the #23 extreme plate & feed dog, &  I'm beginning to love it. It would be my choice for inlay. 

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Do love your machine so far?

5 hours ago, PeterinID said:

I buy my thread and bobbins from Leather Machine Company or businesses that distribute LMC machines. For sheaths I would say any thread size 138 and larger is good. You should join the Facebook group "Tips and and Tricks with Cobra Class Leatherworking Machines" it is an excellent group for technical support issues and is endorsed by Leather Machine Company.

Thank you for the info! I will definitely join the FB page.

4 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

The threads I've bought came from Toledo Industrial and Superior Threads.

Thanks, I will check them out!

On 4/1/2024 at 4:38 PM, DieselTech said:

Good afternoon,

Could you please tell me more about the HE&P extreme plates? I am about to purchase a 4500 machine but don't know about the parts you mentioned.

Regards

Carl

Edinburg, TX

17 minutes ago, BliksemDonder said:

Good afternoon,

Could you please tell me more about the HE&P extreme plates? I am about to purchase a 4500 machine but don't know about the parts you mentioned.

Regards

Carl

Edinburg, TX

I got these thru HE&P. There is a #20 extreme needle plate & feed dog that I have not yet purchased. It allows you to reliably use 92 thread & a #20 needle. 

Here is the needle plates & feed dogs I bought. 

phpuHJ6iOAM.jpg

2 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

I got these thru HE&P. There is a #20 extreme needle plate & feed dog that I have not yet purchased. It allows you to reliably use 92 thread & a #20 needle. 

Here is the needle plates & feed dogs I bought. 

phpuHJ6iOAM.jpg

Very, very nice! I found their website, for some reason my google-fu has been weak lately.

2 minutes ago, BliksemDonder said:

Very, very nice! I found their website, for some reason my google-fu has been weak lately.

Hennigan Engineering & Precision. 

I do a lot of holsters and sheaths. 207 and 277 bonded nylon. Usually 277 top and bottom. I've had my class 3 for just about 4 years. Starting to feel comfortable.