Hello!

I am new to this site and new to leatherworking.

I am looking to get some feedback/insight on mixing leather dye. Specifically, charcoal (dark) gray colors.

Fiebings states they no longer carry a dark gray dye. I have found listings for powders, but have zero experience.

Any thoughts, tips, or locations to mix and/or buy dark gray dye would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I think you might be able to use fiebings black dye & then thin the dye down to make a dark gray dye. I'm not 100% sure on this. But I think I've read it on this site somewhere. 

I did this successfully . . . ONCE . . . and that was several years ago . . . and it was for a personal item . . . for me.

I took (I believe) . . . saddle tan dye . . . thinned it 50/50 like I always do . . . to make the saddle tan correctly first.

I then took the black dye Feibings oil base black . . . thinned it 50/50 with thinner . . . 

THEN . . . I started adding the black to the saddle tan . . . then do a test piece . . . until I got the shade I wanted.

Again . . . only did it once . . .  was happy with the results . . .  which was a medium grey color.  The tan / brown disappeared once I got where I wanted with the grey.

BUT . . . I mistakenly left the holster / gunbelt . . . hanging where excessive sunlight could hit it . . . and it bleached most of the black out.

I'm still happy with it . . . but I did like the original grey I had better.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you both, this is great information! I have also seen dye powders are available (a tons of different color options). Do either of you have any experience with mixing powders?

Thank you!

I've never come across powdered dye for leather.  That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, though.  Try Google.  It might not be called "leather dye", though, perhaps something like "pigment".

Customizing your dye should be an exercise in experimentation until you develop your own formulas.  Fiebings Pro dye is great stuff, but it ain't the only dye brand. There is Angelus and others.  

You don't need to rely on "Leather Dye" as your only choice, either.  I've seen people get good results from fabric dyes, like Rit. Or maybe powder.

Another choice, I use good ol' homemade vinegaroon for a dark gray to black finish.  My results vary in intensity and tone, depending on the particular piece of leather, but usually comes out a dark charcoal, almost black, which might be close to what you're looking for.

For an aged tan look I use very strong black tea, or very strong black coffee to get a good brown color.  Walnut husks and other natural  make a great dyes, too.

Play around with things and have fun!

Edited by TonyV

On 4/4/2024 at 9:25 PM, Thanatos1 said:

I am new to this site and new to leatherworking.

Hi!

Moved your post to Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners.

Like Dwight said, you can dilute Black with thinner or 99% rubbing alcohol. But, you need to remember. Dyes are made from Dye Stuffs, which are mainly dyed powders. But, they never actually totally dissolve, in my experience. Black is by far the worst, which is why it is so prone to rub-off and transfer.
I use dip dying for 99% of my stuff, and even though the tank that I use gets stirred real well each time. you still see tiny particle on the surface as it comes out of the tank.
I ramble about this, because in my experience, with any dye the more you dilute it the fewer dye stuffs you have and therefore, the less color penetration into the leather.
I, and many others, always dilute dyes 50/50 with alcohol to get the actual color it says on the bottle. Except for a 'true blue'. I always struggle to get a nice, rich blue color without it looking too translucent.