thekid77

what type of glue to finish linen thread saddle stitch?

2 hours ago, thekid77 said:

I have had it come loose....

Why do you think people burn the end of poly thread after backstitching?

Or place a dab of glue at the end....

consider yourself lucky that you haven't had it happen, because can happen and it has happened

I burn the end of poly thread to keep it from unraveling. That and that helps shrink it back if I can’t trim it close to the surface for some reason. It’s not to keep the stitching from working loose; it still can, even if the end of the thread is melted. 

Feel free to put glue, if you like. Just about any glue would likely work. The only point anyone pointing out you don’t have to do that, is that you don’t have to do that if you have matched the thread size and hole size. 

16 hours ago, thekid77 said:

cool story, lol...

meanwhile, you still haven't answered the question

Thank you JCUK

cool fact!!! not a story, none is the answer if done correctly no glue is needed. 

,  sorry I'm out you obviously got er all knowed up.

Since linen is a natural product, it will dry out and/or rot.  Shoemakers (cordwainers) would use hand wax (coad) on the threads.  They had two different types, hard for summer (hard enough not to be a mess in the heat) and soft (so it would work into the threads)  for winter. There are few threads on coad. Sorrell Notions was the one place I knew of to find it, but it looks like Lisa isn't carrying it any longer.  You'll might have to make your own.

JCUK is spot on about using the correct size hole with the correct size thread.  You want a hole that will get plugged if you will with the wax on the thread.  While sewing with the thread, once and done won't work.  With each pull through a hole, the wax is scrapped off a bit, so you will need to rewax the thread as you sew.  If your hole/thread size is correct, back stitching will hold it.  And if you waxed your thread enough, no glue will work.  It can't get to the thread because its coated with wax.

On 4/19/2024 at 5:28 AM, chuck123wapati said:

cool fact!!! not a story, none is the answer if done correctly no glue is needed. 

Yes, obviously WE have been doing it wrong all these decades. :blink:

On 4/19/2024 at 5:28 AM, chuck123wapati said:

cool story, lol...  meanwhile, you still haven't answered the question

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

Yes, obviously WE have been doing it wrong all these decades. :blink:

cool story, lol...  meanwhile, you still haven't answered the question

On 4/19/2024 at 8:00 AM, Aven said:

Since linen is a natural product, it will dry out and/or rot.  Shoemakers (cordwainers) would use hand wax (coad) on the threads.  They had two different types, hard for summer (hard enough not to be a mess in the heat) and soft (so it would work into the threads)  for winter. There are few threads on coad. Sorrell Notions was the one place I knew of to find it, but it looks like Lisa isn't carrying it any longer.  You'll might have to make your own.

JCUK is spot on about using the correct size hole with the correct size thread.  You want a hole that will get plugged if you will with the wax on the thread.  While sewing with the thread, once and done won't work.  With each pull through a hole, the wax is scrapped off a bit, so you will need to rewax the thread as you sew.  If your hole/thread size is correct, back stitching will hold it.  And if you waxed your thread enough, no glue will work.  It can't get to the thread because its coated with wax.

Thank you Aven!