Hi all, I feel like I have been given a bit more than I can chew. I ordered a Seiko CW8B2 cylinder arm machine. The supplier provided it with a Ho Hsing i90M. Clearly it was my own stupidity assuming the controller would be basic and simple. This is my first industrial machine and the controller is way too complicated (to be fair, I live in Hong Kong and communicating with the seller was not that easy). First off, the controller is mounted to the motor and away from the user so you need to go around the table to make changes - I didn't expect that and I would have thought the large controller could be turned to face me but it seems that it cannot. It would be great if I understood how to make adjustments on the controller (the manual is quite complicated). Right now I set it for a very low speed - like 2spm (getting to that setting was a miracle). However, all I really want to set it to do is set it for slow for light depression of the treadle and increasingly fast for increasingly heavy depression of the treadle. Does anyone have a clue how to set this controller for this? Does anyone else have this motor and controller or a similar Ho Hsing model? The manual is here: https://www.hohsing.com/wp-content/uploads/download/i90m-manual-tw-en.pdf 

Many thanks in advance for any assistance in plain English. 

19 hours ago, axmay said:

I ordered a Seiko CW8B2 cylinder arm machine.

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.

Well, you're not getting much help here and I'm certainly not one of the resident experts. I suspect nobody is familiar with that motor. The specs look interesting, if it's a quality motor. Nobody seems willing to even list a price for it, but I do find a used one on ebay for $750!

If I understand you correctly, you're not getting a range of speeds when you press the foot pedal.  You are correct, there are a daunting number of electronic parameters on that thing and your problem could lie in there. But let me take a stab...

All I can think of is to double check the adjustments for the control arm listed in the manual to be sure it has adequate travel (section 2.5, page 3, English section), then disconnect the Pitman Arm and see if you get a range of speeds just by working the control lever by hand. Maybe the Pitman Arm is out of spec or misadjusted.  If not, you may just have a defective control unit - assuming there's not something buried in all those settings to make it a single speed motor. I could see that being desirable in an automatic sewing setup.

Good luck with it. I'd be interested in the resolution.

I do have the same motor and controller on my machine however I set it up several years ago so can't remember how I did it. I have extended the pedal arm and the speed controller arm to give more movement. Minimum speed would be set to as low as it will go while still be able to move, maximum speed I set really low but it would take ages to wind bobbins so I increased it so as it was still slow but fast enough to wind in reasonable time.

On mine the controller is at the front of the machine by my right knee with the additional controller on the top of the machine.011.thumb.jpg.50027142538ff451cc6b33df0044d359.jpg012.thumb.jpg.1fbadbb554d408b40ac231cdd679077c.jpg