SUP

My first reasonably good reverse dye project.

Been practicing for a while now.

This was first dyed but then I decided I did not like the color and antiqued it, brown I think. (Label is hidden under stains).

The stick with it is plain undyed bamboo.

Barrette.png

SUP is reverse dying the same thing as resist dying? That looks nice. Looks great. Awesome work.

@DieselTech  Thank you. 

I believe it is.  I discovered this by accident one day when learning dyeing and then learnt that it is actually a thing. By accident it was easy; to do it deliberately, not so at all. You need such a light hand to dye the surface and leave out the stamped depressions. I tried painting a resist carefully into the stamped depressions but that requires a careful hand for the outlines. Else it looks odd. Now, I just stamp deep, mop the dye sponge until it is nearly dry and then dye very lightly, in layers.  

42 minutes ago, SUP said:

@DieselTech  Thank you. 

I believe it is.  I discovered this by accident one day when learning dyeing and then learnt that it is actually a thing. By accident it was easy; to do it deliberately, not so at all. You need such a light hand to dye the surface and leave out the stamped depressions. I tried painting a resist carefully into the stamped depressions but that requires a careful hand for the outlines. Else it looks odd. Now, I just stamp deep, mop the dye sponge until it is nearly dry and then dye very lightly, in layers.  

OK thanks. I have been painting in the stamping with a detail paint brush with super shene. But yes I have my hit & misses with that procedure. Lmao I'm not as steady as I once was. 

LOL. Same here.

On 4/25/2024 at 5:51 PM, SUP said:

Been practicing for a while now.

Well I like it! Practice or not, looks neat.

@NatesLeatherGds thank you.:)

@Chipster99  it is exactly the same thing. :) 

I would look at the Springfield video but I found all the Springfield videos rather too  long - this one in an hour and a half!. Like a movie! I never watch movies as I tend to fall asleep when watching them and the same happens here. :)  Instructional videos longer than 30 minutes tend to do that. You are evidently fine with it, so if you could let me know the relevant time on the video where they actually show something of substance, I would love to look at those sections. 

However, Tandy has an excellent video which teaches block dyeing in detail, AND it takes less than 15 minutes!  

The main difference is that I use  a big piece of crumpled cloth or large sponge, Tandy wraps a sponge in an old T-shirt.  I am trying that the next time. It might make the process easier and give me more control., especially when  dyeing sections like in the Tandy video. For the whole thing, like I did, it does not matter as much. 

@DieselTech you might want to check the Tandy video.. 

13 hours ago, SUP said:

@Chipster99  it is exactly the same thing. :) 

I would look at the Springfield video but I found all the Springfield videos rather too  long - this one in an hour and a half!. Like a movie! I never watch movies as I tend to fall asleep when watching them and the same happens here. :)  Instructional videos longer than 30 minutes tend to do that. You are evidently fine with it, so if you could let me know the relevant time on the video where they actually show something of substance, I would love to look at those sections. 

However, Tandy has an excellent video which teaches block dyeing in detail, AND it takes less than 15 minutes!  

The main difference is that I use  a big piece of crumpled cloth or large sponge, Tandy wraps a sponge in an old T-shirt.  I am trying that the next time. It might make the process easier and give me more control., especially when  dyeing sections like in the Tandy video. For the whole thing, like I did, it does not matter as much. 

@DieselTech you might want to check the Tandy video.. 

OK thanks. I'll check it out.