Hi! I have a green leather chest piece that I rubbed raw wearing with another piece I made. I've attached some photos of where It really got rubbed up.

The piece is veg tanned, dyed with pro dye, buffed, finished with leather balm, then 5 or 6 coats of resolene. What process or products would people recommend to repair it (not bring it back to perfect, but blend the colors and smooth out the rough spots)?

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

Edited by Northmount
copied 3rd party hosted photos and uploaded here

The moderator will tell you to post the pics here, because photos on third-party hosts have a tendency to vanish and because most people (I among them) don’t want to click on some random link to see a pic of something like this. As to the substantive issue, I’d think re-dyeing and finishing would help, but maybe you’re trying to blend the other weathered parts with the part that needs to be refinished. 

You might try Appling your dye with a air brush. Then you can fade & darken areas as you like them.

11 hours ago, DavidK said:

I've attached some photos of where It really got rubbed up.

Please post your photos here.  3rd party hosted photos frequently disappear due to changes in the host's policies, host out of business, users moving files, deleting files, closing their account or the account expiring.  When this happens, the post becomes worthless to all future users who are researching or looking for help to solve a problem.

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171 There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

On 4/27/2024 at 9:06 PM, Mablung said:

The moderator will tell you to post the pics here, because photos on third-party hosts have a tendency to vanish and because most people (I among them) don’t want to click on some random link to see a pic of something like this. As to the substantive issue, I’d think re-dyeing and finishing would help, but maybe you’re trying to blend the other weathered parts with the part that needs to be refinished. 

I dont think I can reasonably redye - as the whole piece is treated with resolene and wont take the dye, and ill end up with just dark spots instead. Any products or processes youd reccomend otherwise? Infinite buffing with a wet cloth maybe?

12 minutes ago, DavidK said:

I dont think I can reasonably redye - as the whole piece is treated with resolene and wont take the dye, and ill end up with just dark spots instead. Any products or processes youd reccomend otherwise? Infinite buffing with a wet cloth maybe?

Oh, I see.  Hmm.  If I recall correctly, Resolene partially soaks in but also stays on the surface to an extent.  You may be able to redye the worn spots, if the Resolene has been worn off sufficiently as well.  I can't say I have tried that myself, though, so I really don't know for sure what would happen.  Resolene is acrylic-based, not oil, so buffing the spot with rubbing alcohol may not work.  I'll think on it, though I'm not experienced in these areas.

4 hours ago, DavidK said:

@Dwight Tagging you in case you have any advice, you've given me nothing but good advice thus far!

You said you put 5 or 6 coats of resolene on the breast piece (?) . . . and as I'm looking at it right now . . . I'm thinking you got a pretty good build up on it.

That being said . . . without being able to actually "see" it . . . I would almost guess you did not mess up the leather itself . . . just the finish.  Kinda like scratching the top coat on a car or truck.  The paint isn't damaged . . . just the final "shiny" surface.

If I were you . . . I'd go to a small spot . . . off to one corner (bottom preferably) and with a little cheap 1 inch bristle brush . . . I'd try brushing on a coat of 50/50 resolene and water . . . and when you brush it on . . . get enough to start like a little lather . . . then just keep brushing it . . . left / right . . . up / down . . . crosswise left / crosswise right and back and forth until it finally looks dry.  Don''t add any to it . . . just brush it.

Set it aside for 6 or 8 hours . . . come look at it.

You just might like the results.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 4/27/2024 at 9:44 PM, DavidK said:

I've attached some photos of where It really got rubbed up.

Resized your 3rd party hosted photos and uploaded them here in your original post.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:17 AM, Northmount said:

Resized your 3rd party hosted photos and uploaded them here in your original post.

Thank you Northmount!

On 5/3/2024 at 4:15 PM, Dwight said:

You said you put 5 or 6 coats of resolene on the breast piece (?) . . . and as I'm looking at it right now . . . I'm thinking you got a pretty good build up on it.

That being said . . . without being able to actually "see" it . . . I would almost guess you did not mess up the leather itself . . . just the finish.  Kinda like scratching the top coat on a car or truck.  The paint isn't damaged . . . just the final "shiny" surface.

If I were you . . . I'd go to a small spot . . . off to one corner (bottom preferably) and with a little cheap 1 inch bristle brush . . . I'd try brushing on a coat of 50/50 resolene and water . . . and when you brush it on . . . get enough to start like a little lather . . . then just keep brushing it . . . left / right . . . up / down . . . crosswise left / crosswise right and back and forth until it finally looks dry.  Don''t add any to it . . . just brush it.

Set it aside for 6 or 8 hours . . . come look at it.

You just might like the results.

May God bless,

Dwight

Will try this today and update with results - I used your bristle brush technique for the original applications as well and it was really successful.