Toddo

0.1mm RFID Blocking Fabric Mesh For Wallets

This is pretty cool.  It looks super thin and pretty cheap too.  If I was making a bunch of wallets to sell I put this in every one of them as an additional selling point.  It's so cheap you wouldn't have to pass much of an additional cost on to your customers.  If I make another wallet for myself or a family member I plan on putting this in it.  Like why not.  I don't know how this has been out but it's the first time I've seen it.

RMLS - 0.1mm RFID Blocking Fabric Mesh

Edited by Toddo

Its cheap enuf but you don;t get much for your money

I'll stick with plumbers aluminium tape

I use to carry my credit cards in a RFID protected wallet but recently read where the newer cards can't be read by someone passing near by, a reader would need to be within inches. true? i don't know but the person that wrote it works for a major credit card company.

This past year, many CC companies have implemented new processes for RFID or contactless CCs.  Many cards have been replaced a year or more before their expiry date.  AMX bumped us into new cards 2 years before the expiry date.  They no longer transmit the CC account number.  Instead a transaction number is transmitted.  It is only good for that one transaction.  I looked for the info I had a few months ago but can't find it now.  They are pretty quiet about its details.

One CC company describes their process as:

Chip technology. Your Credit Card’s chip is essentially an updated, more secure alternative to the magnetic strip on the back of the card. For each transaction, your chip creates a one-time-use encrypted code that’s used to instantly verify your account information. Because a new code is created every time you dip your card, it makes it impossible for a fraudster to make a counterfeit of your card.

The stories about someone lifting your CC account number while you are walking down the street will disappear with this change.  It has been implemented in Europe before USA and Canada finally started to adopt it.  So has had a good run of testing.  Hope it continues to be safer.

Here is some more backup information including digital wallets from another company:

Tapping to make a purchase isn’t all about making your life simpler, it also creates a more secure way to shop. By using a combination of chip technology, Near Field Communication (NFC), and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID), contactless cards are safer than your traditional swipe or insertion of a credit or debit card. This is because each transaction uses a one-time, unique digital code to facilitate secure communication between your card and the card reader. This dynamic authentication process significantly reduces the risk of card fraud and unauthorized access to your financial information. By embracing contactless payments, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing that your transactions are protected by advanced security measures.

Because there is limited physical contact with payment terminals and cashiers, there is a reduced risk of skimming devices or malicious software stealing your card information. By minimizing physical interaction, tap to pay helps protect against card cloning, counterfeit fraud, and other forms of tampering. In the event that your mobile device or digital wallet is lost or stolen, many digital wallets offer additional security such as biometric authentication (fingerprint or facial recognition) or a unique PIN to ensure that only authorized users can access your payment information.

I think; The general public doesn't know all this. The newspapers reported, correctly or not, of peoples card details being stolen, the public read this and believed it. The fitting of RFID blocking material is like a comfort blanket to the public

There was a similar 'scare' when we used the paper and roller system. Where the card was put in a hand operated machine, a paper receipt put on top. A roller was run over them and the card details were impressed into them, then we signed the receipt. The 'scare'  was the shop was making two copies and the second was put thru with the first for payment; you were paying twice.