Stratton

Burnisher machine recommendations please

Buying my first one, so any help and guidance would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Tagging in!

There was a recent post (or maybe I just read it recently) about the Weaver burnisher machine and how people had modified it.  I'll see if I can find the thread.  In the meantime, if you dig through the archives or search Google for something like "site:leatherworker.net burnish machine," you'll find some good information already out there.  Others may have some more up-to-date suggestions, too, though.

Good idea, thanks!

Look into the Cobra burnishing machine. 

Another vote for the Cobra if you can swing it. I used a drill press and wooden burnishers for years. Burned up two drill presses and went through several burnishers. I got my money's worth out of them for sure with the amount of production pushed through them. Last year my wife bought a Cobra burnisher at Prescott. My nephew used to come down when he had enough work stacked up and use the Ferdco to sew on and then burnish on her Cobra. This year he had us haul home a Class 4 Cobra machine and burnisher from Prescott for him. My wife and nephew don't seem to be violent people but I expect somebody would be bleeding if they tried to take away those burnishers from either one. I had a Weaver through here a few years ago. As much as I like those folks from Mt Hope, that burnisher was not my favorite. It takes up bench space and not the handiest to get around. Fixed speed of 1725 RPM The Cobra is on a pedestal stand and variable speed (2000-3450 RPM). Smaller footprint and about $400 less expensive. 

Another satisfied customer with a Cobra burnisher.  I frequently use the sanding drum to level up edges and the wooden burnisher has a variety of shapes that fit my projects.  

Edited by TomE

Thanks for the recommendations.  I'm going with the Cobra!

26 minutes ago, Stratton said:

Thanks for the recommendations.  I'm going with the Cobra!

Why not build your own and save a further couple hundred dollars???  Example:

Bench Grinder $139 at https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinders/bench-grinders/8-in-variable-speed-bench-grinder-with-led-work-light-59300.html

Stand: $49 at https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-59196.html or

$59 for a pedestal at https://www.harborfreight.com/bench-grinder-pedestal-68321.html

Sanding wheel and burnisher can also be purchased just depends on the diameter of the shaft of the bench grinder. 

kgg