Bert03241

wet molding and carving

I mostly do wet molding knife sheaths and gun holsters . I've never do any carving but would like to try, But is the wet molding gonna mess up any carving work :dunno::whatdoyouthink:

What sort of carving? A ornate floral, simple figure, something in between? And how much detail do you put into the wet molding? Every line of the implement, or more of just a general shaping? The detail and whether you want the front piece to be more decorative or to supply more retention make a difference in what you carve and on what sorts of pieces. 

Simple answer; yes

I guess it depends on how tight the bends on the wet molding are. I did this one where the carving extends all the way around on the back of the holster, the wet molding to curve the holster didn't affect the carving much but it's not a really tight curve. I would think tight/sharp molding could cause issues with carved designs.

1851 holster 1a.jpg

well I wouldn't be doing anything to intricate at first. I suppose I could limit any carving to the flatter parts of the holster or sheath . Guess I'll just have to give it a try see how it works out.Thanks for replying 

That's one thing about leatherwork, I don't think there are too many hard and fast rules. It's a matter of trying something out and see what happens, I wanted to see how it would work out. I'm not sure if I'll do it again, though, as it's a lot more work and I don't think, in the case of holsters, that it's necessary.

How I handle this is twofold.   First, I pre-curve any leather I need to bend and I try and tool it on a curved mandrel if possible.  (Many times it’s not easy)

The second thing I do is only add moisture to the inside surface of the holster/sheath.   That minimizes the smushing effect of the fold.  Combine these two and most people won’t notice any distortions.

9 hours ago, immiketoo said:

The second thing I do is only add moisture to the inside surface of the holster/sheath.   That minimizes the smushing effect of the fold.  Combine these two and most people won’t notice any distortions.

That's what I did, I held it under the tap and ran water along where the bend would be and kept trying the bend until it started to fold then stopped the water. There was enough moisture in the leather to bend it but it didn't soak through to the front.

11 hours ago, dikman said:

That's what I did, I held it under the tap and ran water along where the bend would be and kept trying the bend until it started to fold then stopped the water. There was enough moisture in the leather to bend it but it didn't soak through to the front.

That’s the ticket.   I use less water than that, only adding a bit at a time.  You can always add but you can’t take away.

I've used a sponge to apply small amounts at a time to accomplish the same end.  Easier to control the application that way.  One can do the same sort of thing with a spray bottle, like the mister bottles Tandy sells.

Thanks guys I guess  I'll just have to try different ways suggested and see what works best for me:yes:

My holsters are usually pretty thick, generally two layers of leather so holding them under a running tap works, but if you're doing small or thin items then yeah, a sponge will give a more controlled application of water.